Quantcast

Monday, April 20, 2009

What to do when...

... your favorite author goes teen -- join in the fun!

A bunch of posts in one day, I know, but I did owe you, didn't I?

Anyway, this is a get-ready-for/add to your to buy list post. There are quite a few of my favorite new authors breaking into the teen market this year and I want you all to be prepared! Of course, this isn't a new trend at all, but I do know of quite a few that are due out in the upcoming months. And I know I've come across murmurings of others, but I can't remember where at the moment, so if you know of more, let me know so I can read them and pass them to the Junior Junkies!

First up is the second book in Kelley Armstrong's teen series, The Awakening, due out 4/28. The Darkest Powers trilogy does take place in the same world as Amstrong's adult series, but can obviously be read independent of one another.

Next is Lili St. Crow's Strange Angels due out May 14. Lili (or Lilith Saintcrow) is the author of the Jill Kismet and Dante Valentine series. Strange Angels is first in the YA series and features a hunter (a la Buffy) and will be followed by Betrayals in November. Saintcrow is one of the busiest ladies in the genre! I kid you not. In addition to these, she does have a new Jill Kismet book due out in August and another in December. 

Next up is Kim Harrison's Once Dead, Twice Shy due out May 26. Madison Avery made her debut in Prom Nights From Hell and her story continues now in her very own series. Yay!

In addition to her bestselling Decker/Lazarus mystery series, Faye Kellerman took some time to pen Prism a story about a parallel universe, due out June 23. 

Harlequin is launching their very own teen line and it kicks off with Rachel Vincent's My Soul To Take, which hits shelves on August 1. This first in the Soul Screamers series is one that's been on my radar for quite some time. Rachel's Shifters books are some of my absolute favorites in the urban fantasy genre and I have no doubt that this teen series will be just as amazing. 

And, following Vincent's teen debut, Gena Showalter's Intertwined will hit shelves on September 1. This book is about a teen who shares his body with four other souls. Showalter is a wildly popular adult paranormal romance author and will be the second in the Harlequin Teen line. 

As a side note, Harlequin's Teen line is only set for two titles this year, but news is that they will release about a dozen titles next year. 

Again, I know there are a ton more coming out and I welcome any additions you can make to my list. I'm reading more teen stuff myself these days and love 'em. They take just a couple of hours and they're perfect for relaxing with. And I know none of us are averse to reading new books by our favorites, even if they are intended for younger eyes -- I think it lets us be kids ourselves for a while. 

4 comments:

Jillian said...

one of the harlequin teen novels that's going to be released according to my friend is carrie pilby, which was one of the best red dress ink novels that they published a few years ago and was written by one of my friends in town, caren lissner. its an eclectic book but it was very cool and i know a lot of teens read it the first time around, so their re-releasing it as a teen book. shes pretty excited that theyre publishing it some time in 2010

Vickie said...

I actually enjoy most of the YA paranormal. Not necessarily she who is uber popular and has a movie based on her first book, but a lot of the others are swell.

Becky LeJeune said...

Thanks for the heads up, Jillian. I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

Vickie, I rather enjoy them as well, including that one, but I have to admit that for a while there I felt pretty guilty squeezing them in for review. Thing is, I now realize a. just how fast and fun they are to read and b. how many adults are reading them, so I don't really feel guilty anymore.

Vickie said...

Becky: RWG, babee, RWG! ('reading without guilt' can mean many things...must go update my dictionary)