Quantcast

Thursday, April 2, 2009

A New Release Must Read

You all know that I generally enjoy everything that I read. It's true. I tend to pick well as far as my taste goes. Earlier this week, though, I finished up one that is definitely going on my best of list for 2009. 

Darling Jim by Christian Moerk, is a dark and chilling debut about absolute love and unforgiving hate. It begins with a gruesome discovery in a small Irish town. In an unassuming home in a quiet neighborhood, three women are found dead. One was beaten to death before collapsing downstairs. The other two were poisoned, starved, and even stabbed before succumbing. The two younger women were the third woman's own nieces. Chains and padlocks are discovered upstairs. Every door features locks on the outside only. Locks that match keys worn around the dead aunt's neck. What on Earth could have cause this woman to torture her own flesh and blood and what happened on their last day? Everyone is clueless until one young post office employee discovers a dead letter bearing the name of one of the murdered women. Inside he finds a journal that chronicles the events leading up to their final showdown. 

Although Darling Jim is much darker, readers who enjoyed Diane Setterfield's Thirteenth Tale are sure to find Moerk's US debut just as gripping. 

I know I'm a book junkie, but Moerk has been elevated from my "Check This Author Out" list to my "Absolutely Must Have" list from here on out. The former being authors I'm curious about thanks to buzz and reviews and the latter being the result of the brilliance that is Darling Jim. Moerk is now joining the ranks of Harlan Coben and Mo Hayder (and many other amazing authors) for me. 

My point is that you do not want to miss out on this book. If you're a fan of modern gothic and suspense, then this is one book you need to spring for now. You won't regret it.  

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I wasn't overly fond of THIRTEENTH TALE, but I liked CITY OF MASKS - Danel Hecht which I thought was dark, gothic and GOOD! I think I will add DARLING JIM to my list.

Becky LeJeune said...

You know, I think I would put it more on par with John Harwood's work. Thirteenth Tale has a bit of a lighter tone than Darling Jim.