Quantcast

Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for

Jennifer McMahon eased onto the scene last year with her debut Promise Not to Tell. It was a quiet ease, she barely made any waves. But wait, that's not entirely true. Promise was gaining attention even before it hit shelves. I'm not even sure where I heard about it first, but I do know that I was looking for it the day it was supposed to have been released.

Promise Not to Tell is about a murder in a small town. Kate Cypher has returned home to care for her mother and finds out that on the day of her arrival, the body of a young girl was found. The murder uncovers old memories and suspicions that the town, and Kate, would rather not consider. When Kate was a child she was friends with a local farm girl named Del. Del was the kid that all of their classmates made fun of. One day Del was found murdered and Kate has to wonder if the latest crime is tied into the one from so long ago. 

Promise is one part eerie mystery, one part coming-of-age story, and one part self-discovery tale. There's a slight supernatural twist that really makes you wonder, just as Kate does, could Del be seeking revenge from the grave?

Funny story about my experience with Promise, right after I finished reading it, I get this call from my uncle who is raving about this book he just read. He put it in the mail and when it arrived guess what it was. 

McMahon's latest, The City of Lost Girls in which the main character witnesses a strange kidnapping, has just hit shelves and I encourage anyone looking for a really great read to go pick them up. 

McMahon also has a hardcover title being released this year called My Tiki Girl.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I have to admit I have never read anything be this author but I will have to after reading your post. thanks