Quantcast

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ummm, the Title of the Book Says it All

I'm tired. Again. Just realized the title of my last blog really made no sense. Funny how I go into a blog with an idea and it transforms into something completely different. But this time I wanted to tell you about Leanna Renee Hieber's new book, The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker and I didn't want to get distracted (seeing as how I'm getting thrown off easily these days--seems like my concentration level is kind of wacky, maybe I need some supplement or something).

So this is the book that I was determined to finish (and fighting off my exhaustion to do so) the other night. And it was so worth it! I only wish it were time for the second book to come out already so I could read the next chapter in the story : ) I loved it!

Percy Parker is a strange young woman. 18-years-old and raised as an orphan in a convent, she is finally sent out into the world to become a student at the Athens Academy. She's older than the rest, has an aptitude for languages, and looks strikingly similar to the ghosts that haunt the halls of the school. Headmistress Rebecca Thompson is surprised by her newest student, but it is Alexi Rychman, a professor at the school, who is most taken with her. Alexi and Rebecca are both members of The Guard, a group of six Londoners who were chosen at a young age to be the protectors of the city and fight against the Darkness. Prophecy has foretold that there will be a seventh and that her coming will be the start great things, good and bad. Alexi believes Percy may be the one, but another has come into The Guard's midst as well. And all of this as Jack the Ripper stalks the street of their city.

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker is the first in a new series. It's very well written and has a very distinctive style reminiscent of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though will admittedly be more approachable for some readers than Clarke's fantabulously massive tome. It's a very multi-genred read with Victorian flair! A little bit mystery, a little bit mythology, a little bit romance, and a lot of paranormal.

I also feel compelled to mention the fact that the marketing material says it will have strong cross-over appeal for adults and teens and I certainly agree with this sentiment. Technically it's an adult read and it's certainly styled as such (and I mean it doesn't have a "young" feeling that some teen reads do for me), but I know the Junior Junkies are going to gobble it up as well and probably pass it around to their friends, too. And they're a pretty good test market in my book for teen appeal.

Official release date on this one is August 25, but I believe it's available now. Book two is due out next year.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

I thought the title of your last post was great.

This books is going on my wish list

Becky LeJeune said...

Thanks, Cheryl. Percy Parker was supposed to be the subject of that blog, hence the Great Books=Great Day. I was going to say that my good day must have had something to do with the fact that I finished the book before hitting the sack the night before, but then I went off on my cooking rant. Hmm, if no one knew any different...

: )

Vickie said...

I cannot wait to read this!!

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

Wow! Hi Becky! Just found this review and I'm thrilled! Thank you so much for making my day. I'm linking to it on all my sites. Blessings! (I adore the title of this blog, by the way).

Becky LeJeune said...

Thanks, Leanna!

HODGEPODGESPV said...

good review. i think if my mom had read it when i was a teen, she would have passed it over to me. ..and i would have loved it as much as i do today.