Quantcast

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors I've Only Read Once but Need to Read More

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: authors I've read once and need to read more.


Goodness! Just ten?!

1. Ilsa J. Bick - yes, White Space was my first time reading Bick. Her earlier series gets rave reviews and considering how much I completely loved White Space I'll be reading more of her work sooner rather than later (like White Space's follow up!) 

2. Terry Pratchett - I've not actually even read Pratchett, if we're splitting hairs here. (I"m counting him anyway.) I've read Good Omens, which he co wrote with Neil Gaiman. Considering he's my husband's favorite author and we do have most of his titles in our house I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't read him. 

3. Michael McDowell - kind of the same as Pratchett. I read Candles Burning and didn't love it. McDowell frequently pops up in horror recommendation lists, though, and with The Amulet and The Elementals back in print now it seems like the perfect time to read more. 

4. Graham Joyce - this might be a cheat because I could swear that I've read more than one of Joyce's books, and yet it seems my Swiss cheese brain might be playing tricks on me. I've definitely read The Silent Land and I've definitely got a couple of others in my TBR. Joyce unfortunately passed away just after the release of his most recent title, The Ghost in the Electric Blue Suit.

5. Susan Hill - Of course I had to read The Woman in Black before the movie released but I've also amassed quite a Susan Hill collection in my TBR. Some of it has been hoarding her shorter horror reads for when the mood hits and some of it has been snatching up her series titles as I come across them so that I have them when I'm ready to start from the beginning (and I may still be missing the first book, which would hold up starting). 

6. Lauren Beukes - The Shining Girls blew me away and it really took a lot of restraint not to start buying up her backlist and hoarding them in the TBR. I've tried to make myself hold back a bit on that! Her newest book is out this week, though, and I'm not going to be able to hold out.

7. Melissa Marr - this is another weird one. I'm not sure how but Graveminder is so far the only book I own and have read by Marr. Made For You is new out this week and I think I'll have to buy it!

8. Katie Crouch - I only recently read Crouch for the first time. Abroad was amazing! A 2014 favorite and a book that gave me a massively difficult to overcome book hangover. While I understand her earlier books are a bit different (quite in some cases) this is an author I definitely need to spend more time reading!

9. Jessica Anya Blau - same reason as Crouch! Wonder Bread Summer was one of the best books I read last year. I've actually got Blau's two previous books waiting in the TBR as we speak. 

10. Amy Tan - I read Saving Fish From Drowning over the Christmas holiday the year it was released and really enjoyed it. I don't know why I've not read more by her - The Joy Luck Club sadly wasn't on my school reading lists. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any of those!! Who's your fav on your list?

Becky LeJeune said...

Ooh, that is a tough, tough question to answer! Both Katie Crouch's ABROAD and Ilsa J. Bick's WHITE SPACE are going down on my favorites list for this year. ABROAD is a really excellent thriller. WHITE SPACE is one of those books that really polarizes readers, though. It's a bit weird but I thought it was fabulous. And then there's Lauren Beukes's SHINING GIRLS, which falls smack dab in between those. It's a thriller but it's also a bit on the weird side.

Jessica Anya Blau's WONDER BREAD SUMMER, on the other hand, is a totally different kind of read from those other two - it's a very fun, summery read.

So yeah, it'd be a toss up between those four depending on what you're in the mood for :)

Missie said...

I haven't read any of these authors on your list, I will have to check them out
Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

Anonymous said...

I recommend The Truth from Terry Pratchett - it's one of my favorite Discworld novels, and it's a "standalone" in the world. By that I mean it doesn't mainly follow any of the already established characters. The theme & humor of it just clicked with me.

Becky LeJeune said...

Thanks, Maija! I know we have that one - I'll put it in the TBR!

Unknown said...

What did you think of The Woman in Black? I saw the movie but really want to read the book. I used the book trailer in a presentation I did a year or so ago and I need to actually read the book!