Quantcast

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pines by Blake Crouch

If you've not been checking the new tv show announcements then you may not know that M. Night Shyamalan is producing a the small screen adaptation of Black Crouch's Pines. Wayward Pines is slated to start on Fox in 2015 and has a crazy pants cast list: Matt Dillon, Juliette Lewis, Melissa Leo, and Terrence Howard (just to name a few). And the trailer looks super fun, so of course I couldn't resist sinking my teeth into the trilogy that started it all first.

In Pines Special Agent Ethan Burke awakens next to a river with a blazing pain in his head. At first he can't remember where he is or how he got there, but soon things begin to return. He'd been sent to Wayward Pines, Idaho in search of two missing agents - one of whom we learn he's had more than a professional relationship with. But upon arriving in town he and the agent accompanying him were hit by a Mack truck. His fellow agent was killed and Burke suffered a number of injuries, including the concussion that seems to be playing havoc with his memories and causing him so much pain. He has no money, no ID, and no phone. He can barely remember his home phone number, and for some reason he can't seem to get in touch with either his family or his boss. 

Plus, there's something strange about the little slice of paradise that Wayward Pines claims to be...

Yeah, I was intrigued from the start. Crouch hit all the right buttons, piquing my interest immediately. And fortunately for me he maintained that level of intrigue straight through to the very end.

The plot is driven by action - lots of action - and the questions behind Wayward Pines. The longer Burke is in the town, the weirder things become. And the action, well it's lots of running around and hiding, listening in on conversations, and trying to find a way to get back to his family.

In my wildest imaginings I could never have predicted how the book would end. I'd read some reviews and am impressed at this point that folks were able to keep it under wraps. I will continue to do so, so don't expect any spoilers from me! Know this, though, while I'm sure there are some readers out there who will respond to the big reveal with eye rolls and an "oh, that's it?!" I thought it was pretty cool.

I will admit that I'm kind of glad all three titles in the series are out at this point. I'm anxious to get back to Wayward Pines and see what comes next in both Wayward and the recently released The Last Town.

Rating: 4/5


4 comments:

TracyK said...

I have not tried this author. The series sounds interesting. And I did not about the TV series either. Thanks for that info.

Jen | Book Den said...

You leave the best comments. :) I actually tried to comment on this post last night from my phone, but I accidentally closed it out while trying to submit it, and well... it was late so I went to sleep. ;) I just finished reading Crouch's Run a couple of weeks ago,and I've been really wanting to read this series.

What I also wanted to say last night was I had NO idea about the TV series! Shyamalan?! That is most excellent news. I'm excited! I will have to catch up on reading these.

Becky LeJeune said...

I can't wait for the show! Looks like it's not going to start until next year but I'm hoping it'll be a mid season (January, maybe?). We will have to wait and see what the powers that be decide over at Fox.

samantha.1020 said...

Sounds like a great read! I am definitely adding this one to my ever-growing TBR list thanks to your review :)