Quantcast

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pre-Pub Book Buzz: The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry

So you can see I'm genre hopping lately. A lot has been going on -- I won't go into it, but it's been a long few weeks. Reading keeps me sane.

Jael McHenry's debut, The Kitchen Daughter, arrived on my doorstep just days after I started to see ads and comments on the book. Critics are loving it, readers are loving it, and I'm totally loving it!

Ginny Selvaggio is most comfortable in the kitchen. Her Aspberger's makes socializing awkward, but in the kitchen she is completely at home. When her parents die and her sister becomes set on selling their house, Ginny discovers that she has the ability to bring certain people back. Their recipes, their carefully prepared dishes, seem to call certain people to Ginny's kitchen, but their brief visits and cryptic messages only make her more confused. As she tries to unravel their meanings, she also copes with the loss of her parents and what it might mean to be on her own.

The Kitchen Daughter officially hits shelves on April 12. Definitely a highly recommended read in my book. I love Ginny and her point of view. Really a lovely, lovely story about families, sisters, loss, growth, and cooking. It transfixed me from beginning to end. And though Ginny's favorite site isn't a real one, McHenry herself keeps a blog with tons of recipes and kitchen tips (and book stuff), check it out at Simmerblog

No comments: