Quantcast

Friday, April 8, 2011

Anticipating Hanging Hill

I'm in an odd mood of late. Mo Hayder's new book is on the near horizon in the UK, which means I'm getting antsy. Splurging and allowing myself the buy -- already sent Cynthia with High Crimes the order. Now all I seem to be in the mood for is that dark UK thriller stuff Hayder provides.

It's messing with my head.

Ah well, I have a wonderful book from the review stack right now and it'll be tomorrow's Pre Pub post. Not sure what I'll tackle when I finish just yet. I do have some UK stuff hoarded (some Claire Seeber, some Sarah Rayne (exciting Sarah Rayne news to come! I know you can't wait.), and some Sophie Hannah along with some new to me stuff I've picked up of late.

Hanging Hill hits shelves in the UK next week. You can bet I'll be dropping everything when my copy arrives. And in spite of commonalities in style and tone, I've yet to find another author who does the whole package quite like Hayder. Comparable authors, sure. But she seems to stand alone in my book. I'm a fan. Seems the best cure is to read outside the genre until I can get my fix (hence tomorrow's post). It's good tat I read a range.

I'll keep you posted. I do know Hanging Hill is a stand alone, so no return to Caffrey and Flea just yet. It'll probably be about a year before the US edition is released.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've not ever read any Mo Hayder books, but I've been advised to. Like the spooky cover on this one.

Becky LeJeune said...

They are very dark and a couple are pretty disturbing, Kay, but she is definitely one of my all-time favorites! I highly recommend her.

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Oh! Ordering this from the Book Depository now! Thanks for the heads up....you are my "go to" for UK releases!

Ellie said...

I love Mo Hayder's books and her standalone ones always seem to be extra creepy. I'm trying to hold out for the paperback though.

Becky LeJeune said...

@Jenn: I only wish I was up on more of their releases! A trip overseas for book shopping would be heaven for me!

@PWB: Her standalones are pretty creepy. It'll be a while yet for the PB release -- I'm too impatient! There's a lag between UK and US release, but there are a couple of sites with good deals (if you decide not to wait). Course while Hanging Hill is just out there, Gone is just out here in hardcover, and Skin is out in paperback here.