Quantcast

Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh yes, it's so true!

Am I the last person to know about these cookbook bloggers? I sincerely hope not. Apparently, following the massive success of Julie Powell's book Julie & Julia in which she chronicles her adventures cooking her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, others have decided to try it themselves. 

Let me back up a bit. Ever since visiting NYC last summer, I've been an occasional binge reader of grub street (the food blog for New York magazine). Amongst the articles about Tailor restaurant's absinthe gummy bears and the daily reservation round-ups, I found a link to this Wall Street Journal article about cookbook bloggers. 

I was particularly impressed with this blogger who is working her way through The Gourmet Cookbook. While I think the Gourmet Cookbook is definitely more accessible than some of the others people have chose, I'm just not sure I could actually do this. I love cooking, but I cook per my mood. Not at all a good dieting technique, I know, and it would also make working through one cookbook kind of difficult. I dunno, I'm pretty impressed by anyone who can keep this up, though. I'll be tuning in regularly now to see how it's going for her. 

In other cooking news, I found this fantastic site while looking for some info to use in the Georgia cookbook (turned it in today!).  

So, am heading to NYC this weekend and, obviously, food is on the brain! Trying to decide which spots to hit while I am there. I think a trip back to The Strand bookstore is definitely called for. We'll probably head over to the natural history museum as well since Mike has never been. 

Ah well, I'm going to read now. I started The Blood Detective by Dan Waddell last night and it's super great so far.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL @ you! I am pretty sure you aren't the last. I wouldn't have heard about it if not for a friend who loved the book.

Becky LeJeune said...

Oh, I knew about the book. I was still working at the bookstore when it came out. I had no idea that other people were now doing it and blogging about it. It's not so far-fetched of an idea really.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, Thank you so much for the link...I am looking forward to reading your writing, too - lucky for me WordPress tells me a thing or two (unlike Blogspot/Blogger/whatever they want to be called - I like them too but for other reasons)

Lidian