Quantcast

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shopping for the Junior Junkies

I have three teenage sisters; one is 15 and the twins are 14. Of the three, one reads teen chick-lit and wants nothing to do with the paranormal stuff. I'm trying to convince her to try some other things, but so far she's been resisting. The 15 year-old loves vampires and urban fantasy, but shies away from anything too creepy. The last one, loves UF and I think would even be reading more thriller and mystery stuff if she could get her hands on it. They are the Junior Junkies.

They're super easy to shop for, if only I had all the money in the world! They read like I do. The two UF fans swap books back and forth and go through boxes of stuff in no time. It's maddening. What's worse, they read it so fast because they prefer it to homework (who doesn't) and then I get fussed at!

I spend hours trolling the internet for teen stuff likeRachel Caine's Morganville Vampires, Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods, Stephanie Meyer, Amelia Atwater Rhodes, PC Cast, Melissa Marr, and I don't even know what else at this point. I've even started sending them the adult stuff, Rachel Vincent, Vicki Pettersson, Kim Harrison, and Jeanne Stein.

I get random calls with urgent instructions to buy certain books for them (have I mentioned I live 4 states away?) at all hours of the day. I have a box here for them now with a whole slew of new ones: Laurel K. Hamilton's first one, Shana Abe, Jennifer Armintrout, Kelley Armstrong...

Fortunately, I'll be visiting the home fort soon and that means book shopping with mom - in addition to the stack of titles I plan on coming home with, we'll have to do some browsing for the JJs. I mean, after Tuesday, it is officially summer for them, too!

BTW, if you have any suggested titles that the JJs just HAVE to read, let me know. They probably already have them, but I'm always keeping an eye out. I practically have to buy duplicates of all of my own urban fantasy titles just to keep them happy.

2 comments:

Tez Miller said...

They're not paranormal, but I love the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore. Mostly because the characters really do seem like real people. Really well done.

I really like the Mediator and Where Are You (aka Missing) series by Meg Cabot, originally published under the name Jenny Carroll. I've tried Cabot's other works, but they just didn't work for me. But these paranormal ones are fab. Unfortunately, she only wrote about 5 in each series.

Have a lovely day! :-)

Melsy626 said...

I agree about the 1-800-Where-R-You Series by Meg Cabot/Jenny Carroll. I also have the entire Mediator series on my tbr!!!!

Not YA, but definitely comical is the Undead Series by MaryJanice Davidson. Love that series!!! :)

Ummmm, haven't read yet but have on my TBR....Vampire Acadamy by Richelle Read, have heard good things from others about it, it's also the first in a series!!! :)

Also........1 more the Vampire Kisses series by Ellen Schreiber, again, I have the first on my tbr, but have heard good things about the series as a whole!!!

Hope maybe something here will be new to the JJ's!!! :)