Quantcast

Friday, October 30, 2009

A Southern Gothic Halloween Read

Somehow I thought I would get more read during our two days stuck inside. I think I went a bit stir crazy, though, and found myself frequently doing absolutely nothing -- or eating. Is that instinct? Like I need to store food up for the winter or something?

I can tell you that hibernation would be a great option for me!

Today we ventured out to do some shopping and came home to carve our pumpkin. It turned out pretty cool, if I do say so myself. We bought one of those kits with the carving tools, but we used a picture we found online of the cheshire cat for our pumpkin. It's neat. But I didn't buy any candles, so we rested a big lantern flashlight over the top to get some pics. I'll have to head back to the store to get the right lighting for it tomorrow.

Last night I stayed up finishing Rhodi Hawk's debut, A Twisted Ladder, which I talked about here in preparation for my vacation earlier this month. I didn't get to read it while I was back in Louisiana, so I thought it would be a great one for the week leading up to Halloween (today).

Great read and definitely recommended for any time of the year -- any time when you're in the mood for a creepy Southern read, that is! The book takes place in and around New Orleans and Hawk did a fantastic job of creating the perfect atmosphere for her supernatural story while staying true to the feel of New Orleans itself.

Needless to say with all of the snow and everything else this week, I'm super homesick thanks to this one! Not saying that I have strange otherwordly stuff happening around my home or my hometown or anything, but like I said, she captures the feel of southern Louisiana perfectly.

The story centers around Doctor Madeleine LeBlanc, a woman who has studied schizophrenia all her career thanks to her childhood. Her father suffers from the disorder and often left his children to fend for themselves while he disappeared for days at a time. When Madeleine finally meets her great-grandmother, a woman she didn't even know was still alive, the woman begins telling her of the River Devil that plagues her father. Madeleine, a psychologist who has always depended on her education and has no room for the paranormal in her life, will have to reexamine everything she knows about her father and her own roots as she comes face to face with a River Devil of her own.

Honestly, I've fought with coming up with a synopsis of this book for the past couple of days. There is really a lot going on in this book and to sum it up so shortly does not do it justice. Trust me when I say that this is a great read, one that you don't want to miss out on!

No comments: