Quantcast

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Two Sisters by Mary Hogan

Hi, readers! Today I'm a stop on the TLC book tour for Mary Hogan's Two Sisters.

Muriel has been keeping secrets her whole life - things she knows about her mother, things she knows about her sister... And the truth is that although neither of them have been especially affectionate with her, she's never, ever revealed what she knows to anyone. When her sister arrives one afternoon for a surprise visit, however, Muriel is faced with the biggest secret of all. One that will have devastating results. Finally Muriel will have to face the truth about her family and the things they've all been keeping from one another. 

On the one hand I found Two Sisters to be something of an easy read. I was quickly swept up in the story through Hogan's somewhat breezy style. Her imagery in particular was beautiful. But the actual story itself was an emotionally rough one for me. I have three sisters, all quite a bit younger than me, and a brother as well, so the that any siblings would have such an awful relationship with each other or with their parents was hard for me to read.

And my first instinct really is to say that this whole family is pretty much awful. No, they aren't physically abusive to one another, but for the main character (Muriel) to literally question why no one loved her is truly painful!

Hogan's adult debut does give the reader lots to think about, especially with regards to family relationships. This is yet another read that I can't truly say I enjoyed - it was just too heart wrenching for that.

Rating: 3.5/5

To see the rest of the stops on the tour be sure to check out the official TLC tour page here.

For more on Mary Hogan and her work, you can visit her website here. You can also like her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.


1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I can see how this would be an emotionally hard read for you but I'm glad that you enjoyed it for the most part.

Thanks for being on the tour.