Quantcast

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Happenings

Argh! Job hunting sucks. I am getting some reading done, but I'm so distracted worrying.

Anywho, I'm beat tonight. Just plugged myself into the tv for an extended period of time and I feel like my brain is in need of more of a vacation than even that allowed. I've started a couple of different reads in the past few days and am having a hard time getting into any of them, most likely because of my mood. Sucks.

I think I'm in need of something totally different to dig me out of the rut, or prevent the rut from happening: it's really only been the past two days (and I did manage to finish one book this afternoon), but I can feel a blah mood about to hit, which means that nothing will hit the spot. I'm thinking that leaving my comfortable, but admittedly pretty expansive, reading box for a bit might be just what the doctor ordered. I'll have to keep you posted. I have a book in mind for the mission, but we'll have to see if it works before I tell you guys and gals what it is.

In the meantime, I'm turning tonight's post into a tv one. Yep, you heard me. A tv post tonight. It was going to be a "I'll be seeing you tomorrow with a real post" post, but I changed my mind. I'm a bit inspired, not by what I watched tonight, but by my latest TV on DVD conquest, Battlestar Galactica.

I know, some of you are rolling your eyes because I took so long, and others are rolling their eyes because they haven't watched it yet. We started last weekend with the first disc in the first season, which is actually the three hour mini-series remake that came out in 2003. The original show began in 1978 (if Wikipedia can be trusted, cause I certainly wasn't around back then).

Actually, I have to correct myself. We didn't start with the mini-series. We started with Caprica, the film prequel that was released earlier this year on DVD and has its own series starting in January. BSG is about, in a nutshell, a war with a race of machines (called Cylons) that has culminated in the destruction of much of the human race. Now, the Battlestar Galactica, an almost decommissioned ship that was turned into a museum showcasing what was believed to be the end of the war with the Cylons, has been forced back into service and carries some of the last human survivors, headed for the mythical planet Earth.

Yeah, I have to say, I was pretty blown away by how intricate the story is, and really, really loved the whole Earth addition. Let me break in here and admit, once again, I'm science-fiction geek, but I don't understand a lot of it, so it always makes me a bit apprehensive and then I'm always psyched that I'm not totally lost. Something about throwing a political based story in a spaceship on the big screen and somehow I get it. Regular old political movies go totally over my head, as does most actual science-fiction reading.

Ok, now Caprica takes the story back over 30 years to the creation of the Cylons. Yep, technology gone bad, man playing God, all that fun stuff. It's escapism at its finest with some pretty deep messages about love and betrayal and stuff. I don't normally analyze things that deeply, so you'll have to forgive me for not portraying my point very elegantly. I'll just say this: right now, I need a little distraction and with BSG over and all out on DVD, I can sit back and enjoy hours of endless episodes.

And yes, as you can see from my tv posts lately, Syfy channel and BBC are my biggies for TV adventureland these days. I'll have to weigh in on the new V later since I missed most of the first episode.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Shame on you! V was excellent. Don't know if we had discussed this previously, but I'm not exactly a big fan of Battlestar Galactica (to put it mildly). I had a blast though watching the original V on syfy last weekend. Great way to spend a Sunday. Good luck with the job hunt!