Quantcast

Friday, December 11, 2015

Short Fiction Friday: My True Love Gave to Me edited by Stephanie Perkins

It's Friday, readers! And only 13 days to go before Christmas. If you're anything like me, that number causes more than a quiver of anxiety - this even though I've finished my holiday shopping! I think it's more the realization that we're that much closer to yet another year gone by.

Anywho, if you're a longtime follower of the blog then you know that holiday-themed reading is pretty rare for me. Unless it's horror, that is. I'm by no means a Grinch. It's mostly that with a stack of titles in the TBR and the fact that I'm an undeniable mood reader, a book that's meant to be read at a certain time of the year is likely to get pushed to next year, and the next year, and the next year in lieu of whatever strikes my fancy instead. So then I have a stack of Christmas reads that sits, waiting and staring at me accusingly for eleven months out of the year!

But the appeal of twelve tales written by some of YA's hottest authors right now was just too much to resist. And that's exactly what My True Love Gave to Me is - as the subtitle says "Twelve Holiday Tales" edited by Stephanie Perkins.

It turns out, this collection was kind of exactly what I needed. Some are straightforward contemporary while others have a bit of a fantasy flare but each story is light and heartwarming, in its own way. I mean, there is a story set around Krampus, soooo.

Here's the full story list:

"Midnights" by Rainbow Rowell
"The Lady and the Fox" by Kelly Link
"Angels in the Snow" by Matt de la Peña
"Polaris is Where You'll Find Me" by Jenny Han
"It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown" by Stephanie Perkins
"Your Temporary Santa" by David Levithan
"Krampuslauf" by Holly Black
"What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth?" by Gayle Forman
"Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus" by Myra McEntire
"Welcome to Christmas, CA" by Kiersten White
"Star of Bethlehem" by Ally Carter
"The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer" by Laini Taylor

A few of my personal favorites include Kelly Link's "The Lady and the Fox" in which a young girl meets and falls for an enchanting young man she can only see on Christmas day and only if all the rules are met; Kiersten White's "Welcome to Christmas, CA," a story about magic and healing and food; Holly Black's "Krampuslauf" because it's THE KRAMPUS!; and Matt de la Peña's "Angels in the Snow" a sweet story that finds two college students thrown together by weather, fate, and a calico cat. I could seriously go on and on with favorites here, but I think you get the picture!

If you're craving something sweet and short this holiday season, My True Love Gave to Me will absolutely hit the spot. Even if it's not your normal fare :)

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Only thireen days until Christmas! Yes, it causes me anxiety too. And then it will be 2016 . .. It's all coming too soon!

I hadn't heard of this collection, but I can definitely see the draw. I will have to add it to my wsh list. So many familiar authors! It sounds like there are a number of good stories included here.