Quantcast

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Shelf Control: Creepers by David Morrell

It's Wednesday and that means it's time for a Shelf Control post!

Shelf Control is a weekly meme hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies, giving book junkies like me a chance to highlight some of the lingering titles in our TBR stacks!

Title: Creepers by David Morrell
Author: David Morrell
Published: 2005
Length: 388

What's it's about (from Goodreads):

On a cold October night, five people gather in a run-down motel on the Jersey shore and begin preparations to break into the Paragon Hotel. Built in the glory days of Asbury Park by a reclusive millionaire, the magnificent structure - which foreshadowed the beauties of art deco architecture - is now boarded up and marked for demolition.

The five people are "creepers," the slang term for urban explorers: city archeologists with a passion for investigating abandoned buildings and their dying secrets. On this evening, they are joined by a reporter who wants to profile them - anonymously, as this is highly illegal activity - for a New York Times article.

Frank Balenger, a sandy-haired, broad-shouldered reporter with a decided air of mystery about him, isn't looking for just a story, however. And after the group enters the rat-infested tunnel leading to the hotel, it becomes clear that he will get much more than he bargained for. Danger, terror, and death await the creepers in a place ravaged by time and redolent of evil.

How I got it:

I bought it

When I got it:

Oof, I don't remember on this one. My paperback shelves are so out of the way in my actual "book" room that I often forget what I've got. 

Why I want to read it:

Well the premise sounds fantastic. I do love the idea of urban exploration - I think this is likely an offshoot of loving all those books about characters that find hidden treasures in old attics and such. This one also won the Stoker for best novel in 2005.


1 comment:

Danni Mae said...

"Shelf Control," I love the title of this meme! And Creepers looks like the kind of book that just instantly catches your eye. I hope you like it!