Quantcast

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books Set in the United Kingdom

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: Favorite Books with X Setting.


Hrm. The most obvious one would be post-apocalyptic but I feel like I profile a lot of those titles already. If my online organizing was up to par, this would be much easier. I usually tag the author's home but not necessarily the actual setting for the book. I'm gonna go with books set in the United Kingdom today (I do have a ton) and hope that they're all correct in the setting (and UK is Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales - I sadly did not differentiate in my Ireland tag so these are probably all England and Scotland). I've also tried to avoid some of the usual suspects - showing off some books I haven't talked about on the blog in a while this go around.

1. The Devil's Feather by Minette Walters - I think this was my first book by Walters and I read it in one sitting - with food poisoning, if I recall correctly. When I'm sick, I'm dying, so the fact that I read this sick means it's pretty unbeatable. 

2. The Hollow Man by Oliver Harris - this debut was one of my favorite reads of 2012. I sincerely hope to see more from this author (and with this lead character if possible).

2. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson - oh, I have such a huge crush on Jackson Brodie - especially after seeing the tv show! I was definitely slow to get on this train (I only read it about a year ago) but I'm a devoted fan now! 

3. Breeding Ground by Sarah Pinborough - this book is so freaking creepy! Yes, it is horror. It's England being taken over by giant spiders (and that's not the worst part).

4. The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly - heck, anything by Erin Kelly. Her books are psychological suspense to the twisted extreme. 

5. Hanging Hill by Mo Hayder - I love most of her work, to be honest, and recommend it all. This just happens to be her latest standalone.

6. Haunted by James Herbert - I can't possibly leave off England's most excellent (and sadly missed) horror author. This is his best in my personal opinion. 

7. The Uninvited by Liz Jensen - this was such a weird book. Weird in so many great ways, though!

8. Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes - this dark and chilling debut was a total stand out. It made me an instant fan of Haynes's work (and she's got a new book out very shortly).

9. Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson - if you haven't read this one, I highly recommend it. It was worth all of the hype. Now I can't wait to see the movie!

10. Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan - 'cause it's zombie cows!


6 comments:

Ellie said...

Yay for Apocalypse Cow which manages to be amazingly British ;)

April @ My Shelf Confessions said...

YAYA Into the Darkest Corner!!! I'm seriously an evangelist for that book to everyone I meet who reads books (and some who don't!)

I'm totally going to check out the author of psychological suspense - my fav kind!

Several others looked interesting too, including Case Histories.

Great list!

Jillyn said...

I don't think I've read any of these, I'll have to check them out!

My TTT.

Pat @The Girl Who Keeps Reading said...

From your list I've only read Before I Go To Sleep, which I really liked. I must look into some of the other books as well! Thank you passing by my blog. ;)

Chikadee said...

United Kingdom...a popular choice this TTT. Great list!

IYamVixen2 said...

Hmmmmm...some intriguing titles to add to the WWBL. Thanks, Miss Enabler...