Quantcast

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gustav and Duma Key Update

I wrote my Duma Key post yesterday morning and started reading last night. So far, I'm loving it! It reads like Lisey's Story, one of my favorites, and it's really sucking me in. Unfortunately, I was pretty beat yesterday and only read about 100 pages before I fell asleep at 2:30. I watched a dvd earlier in the evening (will have a post for that one 'cause it was GOOD!). 

I also realized that the last time I personally had to evacuate for a hurricane (we moved in 2005 and missed the last one), I was reading my brand spanking new copy of From a Buick 8. I didn't plan to be reading Duma Key during the Gustav mess, but you have to admit, it's a pretty interesting coincidence. 

Anyway, Gustav has been upgraded to a category 3 and is headed straight for my hometown. Our folks (both sets) are evacuating - looks like the junior junkies may get a side trip to Schlitterbahn out of it, though. And we may end up with guests if this thing is really bad. 

I'm trying to be optimistic, but let's face it, I'm kind of not only a glass half empty person, I'm a this is the last half glass of water in the world and what if it spills kind of person!

Can't help it. Katrina and Rita ravaged my home state and things still have not recovered. They're trying, but my own hometown is so different now. Rita hit it head on and was also a cat 3 storm. I'm just hoping the stupid thing freakishly blows away in the middle of the night and my sisters just get a few nice days off of school!

No comments: