Quantcast

Monday, August 18, 2008

Another Boulder Blog

I am a total foodie. I love to cook, I love to eat, I'm just a food junkie! I already shared with you guys the cupcake shop that recently opened in Boulder and here's another great local shop that I've just discovered. 

My other took me shopping for my birthday last month and one of the shops we stopped at was Oliv You & Me, a store specializing in olive oils from around the world. I was in heaven. Well, there was a sign next door advertising the Savory Spice Shop. It wasn't open at that point and I'm not sure of the exact date that they did open their doors, but I did notice that they were open last week when Mike and I had sushi on his lunch break. Course we didn't have enough time for me to go in and browse then so I had to wait. 

This morning when I sat down to eat, I turned on Food Network and Road Tasted with the Neelys was on. If you don't watch this show, it's a great 30 minute program where Pat and Gina Neely, BBQ masters from Tennessee, travel around the states and showcase different area businesses (formerly hosted by Jamie and Bobby Dean). This episode just happened to be in the Denver area and guess where they were - Savory Spice Shop. 

In spite of the fact that this weekend is freshman orientation at CU and we knew that there would be virtually NO parking, my other took me into town so that I could do some spice shopping. You can browse their selections online and have them shipped to you, but I wanted to go in and have a look around. I was again in total heaven! All they need now is a bakery that specializes in crazy homemade breads to open up next door and everything will be right in the world. 

Just to give you and idea of the kinds of things you can get at Savory, I left with:

Powdered Honey (to use in place of sugar - they also sell it in their popcorn pack)
Lodo Adobo Seasoning - for a grilled pineapple dip to top off jerk burgers
Extra Hot Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Blend (they also make a regular Jamiacan Jerk)
Piri Piri Spice Blend (ground jamaican peppers and other spices, and the jar includes instructions on making your own Piri Piri hot sauce!)
Ground Jalapeno pepper
Peppermint Vanilla Sugar (just imagine hot chocolate sweetened with this, yum! You can also buy an assortment of their own cocoa mixes)
Strawberry Extract
Harissa Spice Mix

They offer just about everything you can imagine ever needing from a spice shop. They also have recipes on their website - i.e. the jamaican jerk burgers with grilled pineapple dip that i'll be making for supper this evening (this is also what they made for Pat and Gina on Road Tasted). 

Next time around I'll probably be buying one of their curry packs and some more of their signature spice blends, along with some real cinnamon (as soon as I use up my store bought stuff). Their selection is fantastic, the employees were extremely nice and helpful, and the prices are really reasonable for good quality spices and signature mixes. If you're not in the Boulder/Denver area, check 'em out on the web and call in a phone order (like my dad did this morning after I told him about the store! We're a whole family of foodies.)

Bon Apetit! 

2 comments:

Becky LeJeune said...

Just an update: the burgers with pineapple dip were super yummy! The dip would also be great with just about any type of fish. If you love spicy like me then you'll love the extra hot jerk seasoning. If you are a little sensitive to really spicy then stick with the regular, this one does pack a real punch!

Cheryl said...

Ohh this shop sounds good. I love the Food Network channel. Next time I am in the Boulder/Denver area I will have to check it out