Quantcast

Monday, December 12, 2011

Where's My Bookmark: And Only To Deceive by Tasha Alexander

It's very rare that I re-read. It's not a preference thing and my memory has certainly suffered so that the ending wouldn't be spoiled in a mystery I've already read (terrible! I'm only 30!), but with so many new books on my radar, it's hard to go back to an oldie from the shelves. But it does happen.

In this case, I was introduced to Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series back in 2005 when And Only To Deceive was originally released. Since that time, there have been five new installments. Yikes! So And Only to Deceive went back into the TBR stack so that I could refresh my memory and read the series through.

And that time has come! Here's my brief nutshell review of the book:

This first in the Lady Emily Ashton series finds the widowed Emily attempting to learn more about recently departed husband. The two were married just a short period of time and Emily knew little about his activities. As she digs deeper into his interests, she learns of a conspiracy involving stolen antiquities and the British Museum.

A lush Victorian mystery.

2005 was a long time ago! So here's more from the author's page:

Emily's desire to learn more about her late husband takes her to the quiet corridors of the British Museum, where, amid priceless ancient statues, she uncovers a dark, dangerous secret involving stolen artifacts from the Greco-Roman galleries. To complicate matters, she's juggling two very prominent and wealthy suitors, one of whose intentions may go beyond the marrying kind. Her search to solve the crime leads to surprising discoveries about the man she married and causes her to question the role in Victorian society to which she, as a woman, is relegated.

Even in the midst of moving, I've kept a box of immediate must finds close (you know, so the ones I need to get to quickest in the TBR don't get misplaced). The one good thing about moving is that I get the chance to reorganize my bookshelves. The bad thing, those straggling boxes that disappear only to reappear much, much later after many, many searches!

No comments: