Quantcast

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Moving and Micro

It's almost time! And you know that that means? The best part of moving -- reorganizing the bookshelves!!! (I am well aware of the dorkiness of that statement.) Even cooler, my husband is promising new bookshelves (eventually). Not pre-fab store bought ones. Nice, tall, room-filling bookshelves!

I mentioned the other day that I was reading Michael Crichton's latest (and last), Micro. While I'll admit right off the bat that some of the situations, dialogue, and characters made me giggle more than just a little in their simplicity, the rest of me had a lot of fun reading it.

Seven grad students are offered the chance of a lifetime when employment opportunities open up at Nanigen. A shocking discovery puts them all in grave danger, though, when they find themselves shrunk down to "micro" size. As they battle giant bugs and make their way across the Hawaiian wilderness, each of them draws on their own specialties to help the group survive. But can they make it back to Nanigen in one piece?

I think overall that it's hard for me to be too critical. Heck, I'm not overly critical most of the time anyway. I haven't written a book! I like to read and I like to read for entertainment. Obviously some books are more well written than others. Usually I just avoid the ones I know will be too cheeseball. But, sometimes you need a little cheese in your life. And the weekend of a last-minute inspection, plumbing inspection, and imminent move-in at a new place is definitely a time for cheese. (And by Hawaiian wilderness above, I mean Hawaii through the eyes of tiny people.)

Micro brought to mind many things. First off, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. I was eight when that movie came out. I saw it a million times. They played it in school (wonder if they still do?). It also brought to mind the whole radioactive giant bugs, Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman, Incredible Shrinking Man movie era. Like I said, it was fun.

1 comment:

Delia (Postcards from Asia) said...

Cheese is good, I love cheese every once in a while. :)
Sounds like a fun book to read.
"Prey" was the only one of his books I read and I enjoyed it.

New bookshelves, that sounds awesome!