Quantcast

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Settling in for the holidays

These past few weeks -- and this weekend in particular -- have been utter madness!

I'm a total homebody. I like building my nest and I don't like moving it. Seriously, moving brings out the absolute worst in me and I'm sorry for all those poor folks who had to be on the receiving end.

But it looks as though we're finished cleaning the old place and everything seems to be in the new place, though lots of things have gotten lost in the midst of all the boxes (tv remote). Now to get the house in order and enjoy the coming holiday and New Year!

Not a whole lot of reading done, though I did squeeze in Alan Bradley's latest, which happens to be a Christmas book. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows is the fourth Flavia de Luce book and my introduction to the series.

In this installment, Flavia, a precocious eleven-year-old with a talent for chemistry, has decided to set a trap for Santa. Her plans are complicated when a film crew arrives at the family estate and a charity event is planned at Buckshaw. No worries, though, Flavia comes out pretty unruffled even when they find themselves snowed in with a dead body. With the vast majority of Bishop's Lacey camped out in her home, the list of suspects is ridiculously long, but Flavia is sure she can solve the murder.

I've seen folks describe this series as whimsical and charming and honestly can't think of more appropriate words myself. Flavia is so adorably fun! A wonderful mystery heroine paired with a keep you guessing plot, and an easy enough read that I could fit in short sit downs amongst all the moving craziness.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I am going to get to this series one of these days.