Quantcast

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pre-Pub Book Buzz: The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomon

You may not have heard of this week's pre-pub, but if you're like me, you're going to want it. Bad.

So a while back, I zoomed through Downton Abbey on watch instantly and I loved it. I mean really loved it. And I finished right around the time the trailer for season 2 was released, so I immediately watched that as well and now I can't wait until it airs. I'm so excited!

And some of you probably aren't familiar with the show, but it's an Upstairs, Downstairs meets Gosford Park BBC show (literally, Julian Fellowes, the writer of Gosford Park was also writer/creator of Downton Abbey).

But this post isn't about Downton, it's about how excited I am for the US release of Natasha Solomons's The House at Tyneford. I snagged a copy at the trade show (note to attend every year now!) after seeing Kristin Hannah's blurb, "Fans of Downton Abbey and Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden will absolutely adore The House at Tyneford."

And you know what I'd done right after finishing Downton and watching the trailer for season 2, looked for books like Downton. So of course I had to have Tyneford!

Here's the short synopsis from the publisher's page:

It's the spring of 1938 and no longer safe to be a Jew in Vienna. Nineteen-year-old Elise Landau is forced to leave her glittering life of parties and champagne to become a parlor maid in England. She arrives at Tyneford, the great house on the bay, where servants polish silver and serve drinks on the lawn. But war is coming, and the world is changing. When the master of Tyneford's young son, Kit, returns home, he and Elise strike up an unlikely friendship that will transform Tyneford-and Elise-forever.

Note the book appears to have a different title overseas, A Novel in the Viola. The House at Tyneford is set for release on Dec 27. For more on Natasha and her work, you can visit her site here.

I'm still working out the best way to do contests here, but in the meantime I do have two copies of Tyneford. If you're interested in a copy (and have read this far), leave me a comment below. If more than one person says they want it, I'll draw a name randomly.

Happy reading!

No comments: