Quantcast

Monday, March 1, 2010

This morning, I'm thinking...

... I'm thinking about starting some sort of food blog. I mean, it is the one thing I love as much as books and movies. We have friends over for dinner on average at least once a week. I send recipes to my mom and my aunt. And I review cookbooks whenever I have the opportunity.

So I'm thinking about taking all of those elements and turning it into a second blog. That way all of the food related stuff will have a home.

Thoughts?

This weekend was absolutely nuts. Bonkers. Crazy. Whacked. I didn't get any reading done at all and even though I know I got some things done, I basically feel as though I wasted my little weekly vaca.

As you all may know from reading, Mike worked on the film The Cove, which has been nominated for an Oscar in the doc category. He gets to go to LA this week to attend their official Oscar party and then will be back in time for the two of us to attend a party being thrown locally in honor of the film -- and he will be the film's representative since the others will actually be in LA at the time the Oscars air.

I've not had much opportunity for getting all spiffy and dressed up lately, and I kind of prefer it that way. I like to eat out at fancy restaurants (or more accurately restaurants with fantastic food that may just happen to be fancy). But since we really can't afford that very often, I haven't gotten all dolled up in a while. And that means not having anything appropriate to wear except shoes, because I never outgrow those.

So this weekend was a fun (read sarcastic) whirlwind of trying on dresses and trying to pick out matching shoes and color appropriate makeup. And on that note, I did not realize just how much I had apparently failed at being a girl these days!

Finding makeup was agonizing. I mean painful for both me and my bank account. I'm going to go into shock when I really look at those receipts. After trying out nonreturnable, not try-out-able in the store, regular brands that made me look like I was auditioning for a role as Casper's best ghost friend, I ended up at one of the department store counters letting someone choose the right shades for me.

The shoes were much easier, but about $30 more than I'd hoped to spend. They're adorable and they're definitely going to kill my feet. But maybe I'll get some torturous wear out of them a few times to make up for the cost.

Hopefully I've not got everything I need to attend the fancy, schmancy Oscar party dinner next week. And hopefully I don't end up looking like someone's overgrown kid playing dress up.

But I do have to say, after running around flushed and a little pissed yesterday about the fact that I can no longer put on eyeliner without looking like a raccoon (was I just so determined to wear it as a teen that I got it right every time? Or am I imagining that I look as ridiculous as I do now?) we were cooking for friends last night and the dishes I made turned out very successfully. Thank GOD!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I hope you have a good time, and get some dr scholl's pads for your shoes! :)

Cheryl said...

I think a food blog would be great. I always like reading your thoughts about new places you have discovered to eat at or new spices you purchased.

Vickie said...

Congratulations and have fun! That is just so uber cool, two degrees of separation from Oscar coolness for me. *grin*

I like the idea of a food blog.

Becky LeJeune said...

Thanks, guys! I'll be thinking of you on Sunday and I'll let you all know how it went (maybe on the food blog since it's at Matteo's).