Quantcast

Monday, March 8, 2010

Irresponsible Reader

Well if it looks like I've been totally irresponsible with my reading lately, it's because I have. Total brain meltdown these days and I really couldn't tell you why. Abandoned books are covering my nightstand (not to worry, other than my pre-pub post on Angelology at least you guys aren't waiting with baited breath for reviews on said temporarily on hold reads). One sitting reads are taking all week! It's just been absolutely ridiculous and I really do apologize to my faithful readers here. After all, I'd be nothing without you. Just some wacko blogging for to empty digital airspace, or something.

I finally started reading Julie Powell's Julie & Julia last night. I know. I'm slow. I'd actually seen this one with its charming green cover and cute egg beater when it first hit shelves way back in 2005. For a foodie's diary, this book sold massive amounts and readers absolutely adored it. And I don't know why I didn't read it then.

Of course, the fabulous movie adaptation was released in August last year, a combination Julie & Julia as well as Julia Child's bio, My Life in France. And still, I didn't read Julie & Julia. Both titles went on my want list, but unfortunately I got laid off. And then started a new job. Upheaval can severely impact plans, I've noticed.

However, my recent spate of foodie reads prompted me to hit the bookstore this weekend and finally, finally buy Julie & Julia. (And add Orangette's book to my wish list where it awaits actual purchase along with Julia Child). Well, the food reads and a coupon, and an uncontrollable urge to spend after blowing a wad of cash on preparing for a party that I didn't even attend. I swear, it was like opening the floodgates and the bank account has been leaking like a sieve ever since. Definitely time to plug it for a while.

The thing is, I really identify with these women: Julie Powell, Michelle Maisto, and Cathy Erway. I swear, reading the first few chapters of Julie & Julia last night, I felt like I was reading in part about myself. Hm. Late twenties and unsure what comes next or what to do about it. And hitting the kitchen results in some semblance of sanity for me as well, at least for a very short period of time.

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping that you guys understand my current malfunctions and forgive me for them. And if you haven't read Julie & Julia yet yourself, you should check it out. Julie Powell is something else. Really quite different from the fairly tame, cute character played by Amy Adams. Julie Powell is unabashedly honest in her language (she curses a fair bit, which is totally ok by me) and in her admissions (just read the part about her friend's strange dream that went out via email to her whole contact list).

Like I said, I'm really enjoying these foodie books and plan on reading many more of them in the near future. And they have inspired me to start my own food blog. Not sure who will read it or find it, but it's begun. http://trufflesandpistolettes.blogspot.com/

No comments: