Quantcast

Monday, January 18, 2010

Wanna Win Something?

The lovely Valerie at Hachette has given me the go ahead to run a Dan Simmons contest. I'm offering up two (2) copies of each of his latest titles: Drood and the upcoming Black Hills.

Drood, as you may remember, is Simmons's eerie literary tale about Dickens's search for the criminal Drood. This is based on Dickens's final--and incomplete--manuscript, Drood. The tale is narrated by Wilkie Collins, one of Dickens's cohorts and fellow authors of the day.

Black Hills will be coming out next month. Here's some info from the Hachette page:

"When Paha Sapa, a young Sioux warrior, "counts coup" on General George Armstrong Custer as Custer lies dying on the battlefield at the Little Bighorn, the legendary general's ghost enters him - and his voice will speak to him for the rest of his event-filled life.

Seamlessly weaving together the stories of Paha Sapa, Custer, and the American West, Dan Simmons depicts a tumultuous time in the history of both Native and white Americans. Haunted by Custer's ghost, and also by his ability to see into the memories and futures of legendary men like Sioux war-chief Crazy Horse, Paha Sapa's long life is driven by a dramatic vision he experienced as a boy in his people's sacred
Black Hills. In August of 1936, a dynamite worker on the massive Mount Rushmore project, Paha Sapa plans to silence his ghost forever and reclaim his people's legacy-on the very day FDR comes to Mount Rushmore to dedicate theJefferson face."

And, here's a link to that same page, where you can read an excerpt of the book before it hits shelves.

Simmons is a local here and I'm really hoping that I have the opportunity to see him speak again. Last year on his tour for Drood, he made a stop over at the Tattered Cover and I was able to get my book signed (see this post). He also made a surprise appearance at another signing I attended in August. He's a super cool guy and each of his books is very, very different from the last.

To Enter:

To have your name entered to win a book, simply leave your email address here (so that I can contact you if you're a winner) = 1 entry

Blog about this contest and email me the link (or leave a link in the comments box) = 2 extra entries

Entries and links must be received by midnight Saturday, January 23. I'll randomly draw names on Sunday, January 24 and contact winners then so that I can get Hachette the winners' info on January 25.

Restrictions:
US and Canada only. No PO Boxes. Books will be coming directly from Hachette.

Good Luck!

8 comments:

ShadowsTomes said...

+1 I really would love to read Drood!

must.read.faster@gmail.com

+2 I also blogged about this giveaway:
http://mustreadfaster.blogspot.com/2010/01/no-more-grumpy-booksellers-contest.html

tetewa said...

Both sound good to me! tWarner419@aol.com

Marjorie/cenya2 said...

Count me in.

cenya2 at hotmail dot com

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've been hoping to get a copy of this book. PLEASE enter me; thanks so much

bibliophilebythesea AT gmail DOT com

Bingo said...

I would love to win BLACK HILLS. Thanks for the chance.

kdhaney AT gmail dot com

donnas said...

Book sound really good. Thanks for the chance.

Linked on sidebar - http://donnasbloghome.blogspot.com/

bacchus76 at myself dot com

sharon54220 said...

I definitely would love to win Black Hills. I have Native American in me, so I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for the chance.

sharon54220@gmail.com

Unknown said...

In for one -

jmdelahoussaye at gmail dot com