Quantcast

Friday, January 8, 2010

Putting in an order for some sleep

I'm a total old lady. Total. Mike tells me all the time. And this weather outside does not help. Winter months make me feel like I should be in bed by 5:00. In fact, I find myself looking out the window as the sun is setting at 4:30 thinking that it's much later than it really is out.

Needless to say, it is way past my bedtime as I write this. Mike had his MRI tonight. Not sure when the results are going to be in, but since we know he needs surgery anyway, it's not really a big deal. It was kind of strange that his appt was for 9:45, though. Guess radiology keeps more reasonable hours for the working class folk who need their services. Interesting. Wouldn't it be strange if you could go get your teeth cleaned 24/7? It'd be useful sometimes.

But anyway. If you read yesterday's post, then you know that I just finished up the latest Mo Hayder that has been patiently waiting on my TBR. I had it shipped from the UK and then set it down long enough that it's due out here in the US. But, the good thing is that I pre-ordered (yes, I'm broke, but it's Mo Hayder!) her new book, Gone, which hits shelves over the pond on Feb 4. So that means that I only have to wait a couple months (adding ship time) to find out what happens next. And Skin sure has a doozy of an ending. But, then again, Hayder's books usually do.

It struck me, though, that I never introduced you to the DI Caffery series. So here goes. First installment is the brutal (they're all brutal, who am I kidding?) Birdman.

London detective Jack Caffery is on duty when the bodies of five women are discovered in a construction yard. Each woman shows signs of drug abuse, and each woman has a bird sewn into her chest. Though others believe they may have a suspect in hand, Caffery is not convinced. He's allowed a small window of time to follow his own leads, but it comes at a price.

Caffery is one of my favorite lead characters right now. He fights daily with what he knows is right by law and what he believes is right by justice thanks in part to his obsession with his own brother's disappearance and the man he believes to be responsible.

I've mentioned Hayder before in terms of violence in fiction, and I maintain my belief that while she certainly shocks and disturbs readers, it's done in such a way that it fits so completely into the story. It's hard to describe, especially in my current state of unrest, but think Seven or Silence of the Lambs. There are plenty for whom neither of these are appealing. But for others, they are some of the best thrillers out there.

I highly, highly recommend Hayder to thriller fans everywhere, with the understanding that this are not for the faint of heart. But if you can handle Harris, I think you'll love Hayder.

2 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

My husband had an MRI a few years ago. It was scheduled at midnight!! Our oldest son was just a toddler at the time, but we came along. Not pleasant, let me tell you!

I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of BIRDMAN at a half-priced book store over the holidays. I can't wait to get started!

Vickie said...

This is one astounding book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.