Quantcast

Monday, January 19, 2009

I'd Like One Adult Ticket For...

So while Mike's been off enjoying himself in NYC and now at Sundance (here's hoping their movie gets lots o' buzz), I've been stuck here all by my lonesome. Well, the animals are good company, but I can't really pack them up for a dinner out and a movie, can I? 

I've also been wrapping up the latest b&b cookbook, my fourth! Ach, I'm a semi-author. I have one last trip to the grocery story to check package sizes on some name-brand items and then I have to burn the image disc and put the rest on my itty bitty drive to hand over to the designer and I will be done with this one (and straight onto the next one, I'd really like a couple of days' relaxation, but, gotta make a living). 

In the past week, I've seen 5 movies at the theater. Yep, I know it's a lot, but... And actually there's still another that I would like to see before it's too late. 

Of the 5, I would say 1 was amazing, another was pretty damn good, one was fun, and the other two (the ones I had highest hopes for) were pretty disappointing. I already told you about Slumdog Millionaire, the one that was amazing, and now I'll share yesterday's flick, the one that was pretty damn good. 

Yesterday I dragged my irritated butt over to see Defiance. See, I like to be very much in control of my environment. If I want it quiet, I want it quiet. Unfortunately, living with a 5-year-old in a giant's body means I almost never have control over any of the noise. So, to save my sanity, I skipped on over to the theater, where the noise would be of my choosing. See, Becky logic. 

Defiance is the story of the Bielski partisans, a group of Jewish people led by the Bielski brothers who lived in what is now Belarus. The brothers, played by Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber, and Jamie Bell, helped over 1200 citizens survive in the woods during the German occupation of WWII. Though I'm sure the film takes some liberties with the facts (see Wikipedia for critical response), I thought it was a great film. Given the subject matter, it's not, you know, a fabulous heartwarming way to spend the afternoon, but it's a look at a piece of history that I'm sure many of us are completely unfamiliar with. I didn't walk away with any negative response, in fact, I found it to be somewhat inspiring given the subject matter. 

All three of the men I mentioned are wonderful actors and play their parts very well. Liev Schreiber has long been one of my favorites and I think Jamie Bell must be part fae because he never seems to age at all. And Daniel Craig, well, the Bond man can just do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. I take that back, there are definitely some roles I would never want to see him play, mainly so that he keeps that hunky status in my eyes. Others in the film include Mark Feuerstein (love him), Alexa Davalos, and Mia Wasikowska (starring as Alice in the new live-action Alice in Wonderland).

Anyway, it's by no means a light film, but as I said, it's an inspiring story. And it's another reminder of one atrocious part of history that hopefully will never repeat itself in any form. 

No comments: