Quantcast

Monday, January 26, 2009

But What Happens Next?

So I saw Inkheart this weekend. Yes, before you ask, I have spent what I am sure is record breaking time at the theater in the past two weeks. I have now seen every single movie that is currently playing that I could possibly want to see. Not to worry, there are more starting at the end of this week as well.

Part of the reason I've been so often is because there have been quite a few movies that I have been interested in seeing. The other part is that my other has not been home much over the past month. He's been working on a movie himself, one that just won the audience award in the documentary category. For those of you curious, here is the link to the trailer for The Cove. 

I haven't actually had much else as far as options for getting out of the house. I have no problems seeing movies alone, though, so... yeah, lots of movies. 

Anyway, my sister has been dying to see Inkheart ever since first hearing that it was being made into a movie. I mean, c'mon, it's a movie about the ability to bring stories to life! How freaking cool is that for anyone who loves to read? And I thought that they did a pretty good job as far as the movie is concerned. Her opinion will be the true test, though, as I have not yet read the book. I've only read one of Cornelia Funke's books, in fact, and that was The Thief Lord.

So, Inkheart, the movie, begins with father and daughter Mo (Brendan Fraser) and Meggie (Eliza Bennett) traveling to an antiquarian bookseller's somewhere in Europe. Mo is a book doctor, so to speak, and repairs old tomes. He is also, we soon learn, searching for a book called Inkheart. And, after nine years of looking, he's found a copy. We soon learn that Mo is a silvertongue, someone who has the ability to bring a story to life just by reading aloud. Course he never knew that he had this talent until the characters from Inkheart came to life all those years ago and his own wife was transported into the book in their place. It's good stuff!

I thought the story was great (can't compare the adaptation just yet, but from the viewpoint of someone unfamiliar with the story, it was great). The actors were fantastic. I'm a big, big fan of Paul Bettany and his role as Dustfinger is a frustrating, but great one. Helen Mirren stars as Meggie's great aunt Elinor and Andy Serkis (Gollum) stars as Capricorn, the bad guy. Sienna Guillory (Jill Valentine from Resident Evil: Apocalypse) rounds out the cast as Resa, Meggie's mother. 

It's rated PG but makes a great film for parents and kids in my humble opinion. If you love books and fantasy, take your kids to see this movie. And if you don't have kids, pretend you're one and go see it yourself like I did. 

Unfortunately, after seeing the movie I wanted to know how the story could continue into two more books, but my sister hasn't read book two. So what was a book junkie to do? Run out and buy the books myself, that's what. I've not had a chance to crack them open just yet, but I went ahead and bought Inkheart as well as Inkspell and Inkdeath.  

Little sis has no school tomorrow so if she's lucky she'll be going to see it. If not, well, I wish I were there to take her to all my movies!

4 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I've listened to the audiobook versions, and they are great. I'm on Inkdeath now.

Vickie said...

I took Lady K to see it on Sunday and we both had a great time.

Jenn: I'd love to listen to the series. I'll have to look it up!

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

It's great. I think Brandon Frasier does the audio for Indeath. I could be wrong, though. Indeath is a bit darker than Inheart I have found.

Anonymous said...

Brendan Fraser should NOT have been cast in this movie! (You know my feelings) For that reason alone I have no desire to see this adaptation of a really good book! Glad you enjoyed it, but you should have really read it first instead.