Quantcast

Monday, October 13, 2008

Why Can't Reading Burn More Calories?

Finding a new horror author with an original tale is always great fun for me. A few weeks ago, Stoker award nominee Mary SanGiovanni's Found You was released. Of course I had to find a copy of The Hollower first. With all of the books that I've been reading lately (and noticing a trend in the whole Needful Things entire-town-be-damned storyline) I was somewhat surprised that The Hollower was, at its heart, a monster story. 

I reviewed the book a couple of weeks ago for bookbitch.com and here's a little of what I had to say:

Dave Kohlar has seen it, so has his sister Sally, and so did the man from Sally’s therapy group who committed suicide. Dave would like to think that he’s a fairly rational man, but when he sees the faceless creature in an overcoat and hat following him around, he’s sure he must be losing it. Then Sally flips out and has to be committed. Shortly after that, she escapes without a trace and Dave knows the creature he calls The Hollower is behind it. Then Dave meets Erik and Cheryl. They see the creature too and it’s possible that the three of them working together may be able to fight this thing. They’re joined by two unlikely allies as they set off to kill something that none of them could possibly understand. 

So, as I sit here writing this, I have about 30 pages left to read of Found You, the sequel to Hollower. Yesterday, in an attempt to get some reading done and get back into shape, I took SanGiovanni's new book to the gym with me. I HURT EVERYWHERE! I'm not kidding, I am so incredibly sore I just want to go sit in the bathtub. Ugh! Part of this is her fault, too! I didn't want to put Found You down so I just kept on peddling on the stationary bike until I forced myself to go home. I did weights and elliptical and core stuff as well - the stationary bike was the cool-down if you're interested - and no, I didn't skimp on the rest of the workout just so I could get back to my book, although that is something I have been known to do. If only I could figure out how to do more of my workout with book in hand - can't go the audio route either, I like holding my books and reading at my own pace. 

Anyway, in honor of it being October and all, I am still trying to read as much horror as I can before Halloween. Add SanGiovanni to your list if you're interested in a great monster story that's a really quick read!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you for finding a way to 'enjoy' exercise!! :) Thanks for the info on The Hollower, sounds entertaining.

Anonymous said...

WOW! This does look like a super book. I am a huge horror fan though I don't get to read as much as I'd like.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.