Quantcast

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Life on Mars

I had to record Life on Mars the other night because I was watching CBS's premieres. So, I didn't see the new American version of Life on Mars until yesterday. It totally rocked!

I tried to watch some of the original UK version when it was playing on BBCA but it was already a few seasons in and I can't find it on DVD to watch here. Unfortunately, I can't compare ours with the original. But again, the premiere totally rocked!

Jason O'Mara plays Sam Tyler, a cop from 2008 who is hit by a car and wakes up in 1973. Harvey Keitel plays his so not by the books 1973 boss, Lt. Gene Hunt. Gretchen Moll plays Annie Norris, a member of the policewoman's division, and The Sopranos' Michael Imperioli plays Det. Ray Carling. Of course, Tyler thinks it must all be part of his imagination and this is supported by the fact that he can hear people from 2008 talking to him occasionally (through the tv and through the car stereo in ep 1). 

Irish O'Mara is fantastic! I'm in love with him after just one episode! Style-wise I think it really works. I wasn't around in the 70s, but I can tell you the 70s scenes work for me at least. And the music, the music is wonderful. I wonder if ITunes will be seeing an increase in downloads of the featured songs? 

Anyway, the show airs on Thursdays on ABC, following Grey's Anatomy (9pm my time zone). I'd recommend checking it out if you like detective shows. It'll be fun to see how it plays out considering you have a detective with all the modern-day forensic knowledge trying to figure out how to apply it in a time when it doesn't yet exist. 

No comments: