Quantcast

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

New Challenges: R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril and Bloggers Recommend Perpetual Challenge

I've signed up for two more challenges. I'm ahead on my annual reading goal over on Goodreads and I've been doing really well on both the 2013 Debut Authors Challenge and Ellie's 2013 Translation Challenge so I figured what the heck. Plus, one of these two is a challenge right up my alley with creepy fall reads!

First up, the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril challenge, or R.I.P. VIII hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings. Both Jenn over at Jenn's Bookshelves and Kelly at Kelly's [Former] France Blog are taking part so I decided to jump on the bandwagon, too.


Here's the lowdown:

Starting September 1 and ending October 14, read (or watch) anything:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.

And that's it. There are different levels to the challenge as well as a group read. I've decided to sign on with the Peril the First, Peril of the Short Story, and Peril on the Screen portions (so four book, short stories, and suitably scary movies/tv shows). 

The trick for me will be remembering to track my posts!

As of right now, my plans include:

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (of course!)
The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman
The Seance Society by Michael Nethercott
A Cold Season by Alison Littlewood
Teen horror bonus - 3:39 by Gretchen McNeil

Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist (shorts)
Twittering From the Circus of the Dead by Joe Hill (short)

Insidious Chapter 2

The second new challenge is the super informal Bloggers Recommend Challenge hosted by Michelle over at My Books. My Life. This one simply involves choosing at least one book from the monthly Bloggers Recommend newsletter and incorporating it into our monthly TBR. Easy peasy since the Bloggers Recommend folks recommend some of the best and brightest out of each month's new releases. 


I've already done my first Bloggers Recommend title (post will go up next week). I'm excited to get started on R.I.P. VIII now as well!

4 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Yay! So glad you are participating in R.I.P!

Becky LeJeune said...

ooh, I forgot to add THE WAKING DARK by Robin Wasserman as another teen bonus!

Kelly said...

Oooh goodness, I don't think my heart could take Insidious. I am all for scary books, but my scary movies have to be B rated and cheap or else I cry and sleep with the lights on for days ;)

Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

RIP is an awesome laid-back reading challenge...definitely a perfect one to jump into. Enjoy!