Quantcast

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pseudonyms and Such

Ah, I'm winding my way through Daniel Abraham's The Dragon's Path, first in the Dagger and the Coin series, now under contract for five titles. As always, I tend to google the heck out of authors that I'm reading. Interestingly, it was a side note about a totally unrelated author that had me on the pseudonym search, but when I hit up Abraham's site in the wake of that, I found that he too has multiple personalities. Which means more books to add to the Must Read list when I finish this one : )

The first title I came across is actually one that I really, really want to read and have been anticipating since seeing it in the Orbit catalog. Leviathan Wakes is appealing to me for so many reasons, even though I do tend to shy away from Sci-Fi books. Sad, but true. Here's a nice little piece on Curiosity Killed the Bookworm that refers to some of the same issues I suffer from. Her post comes in the wake of the recent slew of articles about sexism in publishing (lordy, men's fiction vs women's fiction vs genre labeling vs who gets reviewed where vs whether genre fiction is respectable, it's making me dizzy!).

Anywho, Ellie's points ring true for me anyway, a lot of the time I just feel like Sci-Fi goes completely over my head for one reason or another (books that is, movies I have no issue with). I have hopes that Leviathan Wakes will be different -- because I so want it to be! Abandoned ship fits right in with my whole weird obsession with abandoned hospitals, orphanages, and such. Plus there's the whole detective aspect in it as well. Here's chapter one if you're curious.

Leviathan Wakes is set for release on June 15, by the way, and is a team effort -- author James S.A. Corey being Daniel Abrahams and Ty Franck. But that's not all for busy bee Abrahams. Seems he also writes as MLN Hanover, author of the Black Sun's Daughter series.

I mean wow. It's no secret or anything, which is nice since I didn't completely unravel the mystery I was searching out originally pertaining to that other author.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I'll be on the lookout for this one. I have a book under MLN Hanover that I need to dig out and read one day.
I shy from sci-fi, too, unless it's one of my favorite female (at least the name is) authors writing, Pamela Sargent or Sheri S Tepper