Quantcast

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pre-Pub Book Buzz: Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

Oh, man! I'm a big Terminator fan. Huge. So big in fact, that I threaten to join the resistance frequently. See, technology is nice and handy until it goes wrong and then my own reliance on it becomes a huge inconvenience. So I can relate to an uprising against machines. That scene in Office Space where they take the fax machine out and beat the crap out of it. Those computer commercials where folks are throwing their computers out the windows. Yeah. Take it from someone who had two computers crash within the space of a month, technology gone wrong sucks.

So when Daniel H. Wilson's Robopocalypse arrived, I couldn't wait to dive in! And I got my chance last weekend. It was sunny out, so I took my robot apocalypse book in the backyard and got in some quality time before the neighbors started partying. It was fun. I got sunburned. It happens.

Robopocalypse tells the story of the war between humans and robots. It begins with a virus, machines malfunctioning, things going wrong, all in the wake of the creation of Archos, a computer that has the capability to learn. Soon the war has begun, but rather than a straight narrative, Robopocalypse tells the story through a series of events pieced together by one of the key members of the human resistance. The short chapters make for a quick pace and before you know it, it's the middle of the night and you're in the midst of the conflict -- no way are you going to put it down before you finish!

Guaranteed to be one of the best books you read this year and a film version is already said to be in production! Robopocalypse is set for release on June 7.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

I'll keep an eye out for this one, though I don't think I'll be able to pronounce the title!