Quantcast

Monday, December 7, 2009

A Psi Thriller

So remember when I said that I was a sucker for certain kinds of stories? Yes, the list is ever expanding and very broad, but every time I come across a new premise that fascinates me or a new setting that for some reason draws me more than most, or even a new trend in a genre that I find particularly satisfying, it gets added.

I don't remember what exactly drew me to remote viewing, but any time I see it in the synopsis of a book, I have to have it. Actually, all psi stuff in terms of warfare or secret government experiments and such applies here. I remember the movie Suspect Zero as being one of the first places I came across it. Admittedly, not the best film, but it had such potential! I think if it had had just a little more viewing time for story development, it could have been great. As it stands, I find it highly entertaining, just with too much going on.

I've found a few titles with psi stuff as the main plot, and one of the latest is C.S. Graham's October Guinness series. The Solomon Effect was just released this fall as the follow up to last year's debut in the series, The Archangel Project.

Here's a little about Archangel to get you interested:

October "Tobie" Guinness joined the military without expecting to see actual combat. Her strengths as a linguist were certainly useful, but it would be another talent that would ultimately lead to an unfortunate dismissal from service with a "psycho" discharge. Tobie didn't know what remote viewing was or that she was even capable of doing it, until she joined a project at Tulane studying her ability. With just a set of coordinates, Tobie can "see" places and events far, far away. Something she sees during one of her sessions leads to catastrophic results, though, when the wrong people are let in on the secret. Now, Tobie, who still has yet to master her ability, or fully understand it, must figure out what she was supposed to have seen and who wants her dead as a result.

C.S. Graham are a husband and wife writing team, Candace Graham, aka author C.S. Harris (historical mysteries), and her husband, Steven Harris, have created a winning thriller in this first project. It's a fascinating story and a page-turning read that's sure to please fans of Steve Berry and James Rollins (just to name a few).

It's something to have fun with, but remember, the research and basis for the story all come from alleged true events. If you saw (or read) The Men Who Stare at Goats, Harris and Graham have used a lot of the same references for their series. Can you get any cooler than that? Not really. That's why Berry and Rollins and everyone else in the biz of writing these sorts of thrillers are so good -- they combine facets of actual fact (or rumored events) with a great story.

1 comment:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Oh! I'm a sucker for these types of stories too! I just moooched The Archangel Project! Thanks for the rec!