Quantcast

Monday, June 8, 2009

Recent Movie Roundup

Ok, guys. I skipped a week, but here's my exciting movie experience of the past two weeks. (Not actually very exciting.)

On opening night, we did see Sam Raimi's new film Drag Me to Hell with Justin Long and Alison Lohman. If you're a fan of the Evil Dead movies, then you can see that Raimi has gone back to his gross-out silliness that everyone loved so much back then. It was a nice change from the recent horror releases, one that I think old fans and new will appreciate. The movie is about a young bank employee who shames a gypsy woman, and ends up with a terrible curse placed on her. Just the right amount of humor. 

We also so The Hangover with Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Justin Bartha, and Zach Galifianakas. It was pretty darn funny even though it did go a bit over the top for me in some instances. I love Bradley Cooper, though, so he was the highlight of the movie for me. Ed Helms is pretty hilarious, too. No doubt Zach Galifianakas provided much of my boyfriend's laughs, but he sometimes took it too far for my somewhat different taste in humor. This is, of course, the movie about four guys who have a bachelor's party in Vegas only to wake up the following morning with one guy missing and no memory of what happened the night before. 

I rented chick-flicks, and both were fairly disappointing. 

New In Town is Renee Zellweger's latest, a movie in which a high-up with a food company is sent to manage layoffs and revamping of one of their factories. Zellweger is the fish-out-of-water from Miami sent to New Ulm, Minnesota. And Harry Connick Jr. plays the man she ends up falling for... it felt very forced. The story was too much like every other similar chick-flick, only the circumstances were kind of ho-hum most of the time. Predictable and not even one tear shed. A skip.

The Other End of the Line stars Jesse Metcalf as a California player who catches the eye of a credit card operator in Mumbia who, of course, goes against her parent's wishes and flies to America to meet her new love. It was cute enough, but didn't stand out. 

And finally, in a blast from the past, I curled up with Peter Weller's Leviathan last week for some 80's creature feature fun. I like this movie. Somehow, the cheesy 80's grade effects still do it for me. If you haven't seen it, a bunch of underwater miners find a downed Russian ship that records show is still around and kicking. The truth behind conspiracy lies in a bottle of vodka found on board. And what do you get when you put a bunch of miners together trapped underwater? Severe boredom, so of course some secretly partake in the drink... Well, then the trouble really starts. It's kind of like The Thing underwater. 

1 comment:

Vickie said...

DH wants to see The Hangover. I would rather not. I'll get it for him on DVD. = )
I love Leviathan!