Quantcast

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Good Neighbors by Sarah Langan

Years later, people are still talking about the events on Maple Street. 

It all began with a sinkhole. It opened the day of a block party—a party that the Wilde family was not invited to. 

The Wildes had always been a bit on the outside in their suburban neighborhood. They're the ones who didn't quite belong, much as they tried to fit in. The kids were friendly, as were the parents, but ex-beauty-queen Gertie and her former rock star husband Arlo weren't exactly the typical suburbanites. 

The summer of the sinkhole, they found themselves even more on the outs than usual. And then a child fell down the sinkhole and everything went downhill!

It has been absolutely ages since Sarah Langan's last book released and I am just one of many readers who has been anxiously awaiting her next title!

Set in the near future, Good Neighbors is an unsettling look at mob justice at its absolute worst! 

Langan teases out the store through to the brutal end with excerpts from newspaper articles and books and even outtakes of interviews about the Maple Street Murders, many of them dating almost twenty years after the events themselves. And they provide a bit of a driving force to the narrative, making the reader really wonder just how bad things are going to get as the events unfold in the book. 

Good Neighbors is a bit of a break from Langan's previous horror releases, but that's not to say that the things that take place in the book aren't horrific! And in fact, it is really hard not to absolutely abhor some of the characters in this book. The actions that take place caused a very emotional reaction in me as a reader! While I certainly did enjoy the reader, I felt like I needed a nice, heartwarming read to wash out my brain once I was finished.

I had the chance to listen to this one on audio when I wasn't able to read the physical and I have to tell you, narrator Nicole Lewis does an amazing job! (She may be one of my new favorite audiobook narrators!). 

Order a copy from your favorite indie via Bookshop or buy the audio edition from Libro.fm

No comments: