Quantcast

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Feb 14, 2021: Week In Review

 

And so another week has passed. It was...well, my sister says that since the Covid mess really got started last March that we're not yet through our Covid year and that things will be better after that. I hope she's right. 

I finished just one book this week. Just. One. Book. This. Week. Ugh. 

I did binge watch a couple of shows, one of them I want to tell EVERYONE about! 

But first, another show I want to recommend. 

A couple of weeks back, I finally dove into Fortitude, a British show filmed in Iceland and set on a fictional island that's technically part of Norway but also home to a research facility with scientists from England. 

In the opening for the first episode, a man is being eaten by a polar bear. And while a local photographer attempts to help, the sheriff appears. This scene sets the tone for a show that is part mystery/thriller and turns out to be pretty largely horror!

The show really gets started when a couple of kids find the body of a mammoth in the ice. Shortly after one of the kids' parents tries to sell the mammoth to the research facility, a scientist is brutally murdered in his home. Newly arrived scientist, Vincent, (played by Luke Treadaway) is found at the scene and the prime suspect until the evidence doesn't line up. 

There are currently two seasons of Fortitude available here in the States. The first includes Richard Dormer (who is currently starring in The Watch) and Stanley Tucci. Christopher Eccleston, Sienna Guillory, Alexandra Moen and Sofie Gråbøl are a few of the others who appear in season one. Season two adds Dennis Quaid, Michelle Fairley, and Robert Sheehan. 

No word on when season three will be available here. 

I loved it so much that I was left with a pretty huge show hangover, desperate to find books that would be in the same vein. Sadly, though I could think of plenty, I'd read them all and there weren't any satisfactory recommendations online. 

Do not watch if you are squeamish! 

Anywho, that brings me to the show I watched this past week, HBO Max's The Head

The show begins as the full team of researchers at a fictional Antarctic station are leaving just a handful of Winterers behind. 

Six months later, they return after losing contact with the station to find most of the Winterers dead or missing. 

The show is mostly in English but is actually Spanish made and stars John Lynch (of The Terror), Katharine O'Donnelly, and Alexandre Willaume, amongst others. 

It is excellent! It's the kind of mystery series that really does keep you guessing and yet another one that I really wish was based on a book—because I really wasn't ready to leave it behind! 

And also because I'm all about those snowed-in mysteries at the moment!

That's pretty much it at the moment. Enjoy my cheese plate from So Damn Gouda up there (which is actually from last weekend). I'll be over here trying to clean out my garage freezer before everything defrosts—yup, this is a thing when temps are super cold in Colorado!

We'll see how this week plays out, but hopefully it includes way more reading!

By the way, if these two shows are up your alley, or if you're also into snowed-in thrillers, I'll be posting some book recs really soon!

2 comments:

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

I’m adding Fortitude to my viewing queue, thanks

Becky LeJeune said...

Yay! You'll have to let me know what you think--it does get pretty weird!