Quantcast

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Shelf Control: Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

Sooooo my TBR is and probably always will be OUT OF CONTROL! Ah, the perils of being a book junkie. As a fellow reader suffering the same issue Bookshelf Fantasies has created Shelf Control, a weekly meme to highlight those titles that have been hanging around our TBRs, waiting patiently for their turn.

My pick today is:

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, the first book in the Amelia Peabody series.

What it's about (from Goodreads):

Set in 1884, this is the first installment in what has become a beloved bestselling series. At thirty-two, strong-willed Amelia Peabody, a self-proclaimed spinster, decides to use her ample inheritance to indulge her passion, Egyptology. On her way to Egypt, Amelia encounters a young woman named Evelyn Barton-Forbes. The two become fast friends and travel on together, encountering mysteries, missing mummies, and Radcliffe Emerson, a dashing and opinionated archaeologist who doesn't need a woman's help -- or so he thinks.

How I got it:

This was one of my grandmother's books. When she passed away my mom boxed up a lot of her collection and shipped them to me.

When I got it:

About two years ago now.

Why I want to read it:

I have heard wonderful things about this series. The fact that it's an Egyptology based historical mystery series only makes it that much more of a must read for me!

Peters, by the way, was a pseudonym used by Barbara Mertz who also wrote as Barbara Michaels.


3 comments:

Kay said...

Becky, get thee to the bookshelf and pick up Crocodile On The Sandbank and read it. It's a great book. Funny, so funny. You will love Amelia Peabody. One of my favorites ever.

Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies said...

This sounds like such fun! The time period should make for a great read, and I've always heard good things about this author. Adding it to my TBR list...

Jen | Book Den said...

This book is completely new to me. It sounds like a wonderful (and sentimental) read.