Quantcast

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best/Worst Series Enders

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: Best and Worst Series Enders.


Best:
1. The Dark Tower by Stephen King (Dark Tower book 7) - because, whoa! I know some people didn't like the way this ended but I LOVED it!

2. The Last Word by Lisa Lutz book 6 in the Spellman series - so I'm not sure if this is a "series" ender. It is supposedly the final book narrated by Izzy. I do so love the Spellman family so I hope we'll see more of them in the future. As with all the others, this was a hilarious installment and a nice final note for Izzy.

3. The Neon Graveyard by Vicki Pettersson book 6 in the Signs of the Zodiac series - to be honest, I don't remember many specifics about this particular installment, but I do recall feeling a satisfying sense of closure.

4. To Hell and Back by Lilith Saintcrow book 5 in the Dante Valentine series - I was so sad to see the end of this series. The characters and the worldbuilding were really excellent. One of my favorite urban fantasy series ever.

5. Alpha by Rachel Vincent book 6 in the Shifters series - this was also a satisfying close to a series that I particularly enjoyed.

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling - of course it's on the list!

Worst:

7. Reached by Ally Condie - while I enjoyed this book on its own and even as part of the series, I felt like it still left questions unanswered (and even brought to mind new ones). It didn't feel like a series wrap up. 

8. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - I hate to say that this one didn't stack up because there were no games, but I think I missed that aspect of the first two books in this third. It actually wasn't a bad book it just didn't quite hit the spot compared to the other two. 

9. The Death Cure by James Dashner - the final book in the Maze Runner series was fine, it just didn't quite live up to the expectation set by The Maze Runner.

10. Ash by James Herbert - I hate to include this one because I love Herbert's work so much, this book was kind of a mess. Both of the other David Ash books are amazing and creepy as all get out. This one was just kind of cheesy.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I haven't read most of these, but ugh, REACHED. I just felt like I had way too many questions and no answers, and that just didn't work for me. Thanks for stopping by!

Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

Mo_books said...

I agree with you about Reached but I really liked the Death Cure.
Here's my list
http://moniquesmobooks.blogspot.ca/2013/10/top-ten-tuesday-16-bestworst-series.html

Elizabeth said...

I've only read Harry Potter (which obviously I agree with you) and Mockingjay on this list. One of the other bloggers commented on my list on how the book was lackluster until the epilogue for her, and that's EXACTLY how I feel! I put it on my best endings because of the epilogue as I thought it was perfect...but I can't say I was particularly interested in the majority of the book now that I've taken the time to think about it haha

BookCupid said...

Loved Harry Potter, sad to hear about Death Cure :( Haven't read that one yet. The Maze Runner was amazing. thanks for stopping by.