Quantcast

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Blackout by Robison Wells

In the midst of a number of terrorist attacks, a virus is spreading throughout the country. It hits teens and results in a number of strange symptoms including random supernatural abilities. When it is learned that the terrorists themselves are some of these affected kids, the government begins rounding up droves of teenagers everywhere in order to test for the virus and hopefully create their own teams to combat the terrorists. 

This latest from Robison Wells (author of Variant and Feedback) is part X-Men and all action. Thing is, while the book is fine it didn't blow me away and I'm not 100% sure why.

First, it is clearly the beginning of a new series. Blackout does not have an all encompassing plot of its own and readers should definitely be prepared.

Aubrey and Jack, two of the lead characters, have a nice set up and relationship to build from. Alec and Laura are understandably much more mysterious: they're part of the terrorist group whose plot is still unclear by the end of Blackout. And perhaps that's my problem. Nothing is explained in much detail and there are no conclusions at all. Everything is left up in the air at the end of this first installment. I wanted SOME answers. Any answers at all. Who's in charge of the terrorists? What's their goal? Who created the virus?

I would have been happy with anything.

Instead we get simply a prelude with more to come. Maybe I'm just tiring of that kind of setup or maybe it's just that other series in this vein have had more satisfying series starts. I'm not entirely sure. What I do know is that by the end of Blackout I felt a bit (sadly) relieved simply to be finished.

That sounds so mean! I really don't mean to be. The book isn't at all bad. Wells's writing isn't bad. Blackout was just a miss for me personally.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: