Quantcast

Friday, January 4, 2013

Edge of Black by J.T. Ellison

So, readers. I did actually read both installments of J.T. Ellison's new Samantha Owens series pretty much back to back but I'm only now getting around to doing my write up for Edge of Black here for the blog (though I did review it for Bookbitch.com this week).

And of course I HAD to get to Edge of Black as soon as I possibly could after finishing A Deeper Darkness. I just couldn't get enough!

Sam is starting over -- new city, new job, and even a new boyfriend. Convinced she needs a break from her job as a Medical Examiner, she's taken on a teaching position at Georgetown University. When a student falls ill as a result of what's clearly a biological attack on the capitol, Sam finds her skills as an ME are called upon once more. The attack has been contained and so far the number of deaths is limited to just three, one of whom happens to be a senator who's made more than a few enemies with his stance on policies. But why these three victims? And why did the senator receive an ominous text just moments before his own death? Sam is determined to find out. Meanwhile, her new boyfriend, Xander Whitfield, has heard through the grapevine that the attack could be the work of a local rather than some overseas terrorist group. Using his own connections, he sets off to see if he can find the killer before it's too late.

Ah! This one is crazy good! I think I liked it even more than A Deeper Darkness, which I wouldn't have thought possible until now. I love, love, loved the bio warfare/outbreak aspect here! The science seems spot on (I'd never know the difference but even if it's not, Ellison makes it believable).

I love the relationships and the interplay between the characters in Ellison's work. Sam and Xander, of course, and Detective Darren Fletcher as well. But then there are the other smaller characters, too: Nocek, Xander's parents, and all of the others that inhabit the book. I've mentioned it before, but Ellison's character development is some of the best I've come across.

Really another fine outing from Ellison! She's such an exciting author and I'm always looking forward to what she'll do next.

As an aside, I just bought these two for my friend as a Christmas gift as well (hopefully I haven't included any spoilers if she's reading these posts!).

No comments: