Quantcast

Friday, July 16, 2010

100 Thrillers

This month, ITW authors got together and contributed essays for Thrillers: 100 Must Reads ed by David Morrell and Hank Wagner. The book is an interesting look at 100 thrillers throughout the years, beginning with Lee Child's essay on "Theseus and the Minotaur" all the way through Steve Berry's entry on Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code.

Thriller fans will love it. Not only can you totally poach thriller reads -- both classic and contemporary -- for your TBR stacks, but you get to see what your favorite authors have to say about some of the best of the genre. Douglas Preston writes on Wilkie Collins's The Woman in White, Laura Benedict weighs in on Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles. Allison Brennan writes about one of my favorites, Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, CJ Lyons tackles Robin Cook's Coma, and JT Ellison got another of my favorites, The Charm School by Nelson Demille.

It's just a super cool look at the evolution of the genre. Like me, you've probably read some or many of the titles mentioned, you've probably read many of the authors contributing. But I guarantee you that there's something in there that you've missed! Some fantastic book that may have inspired some of your favorites today. Something that's calling your name from the bookshelves as your next must buy! And who among us isn't always in the lookout for something new and great to read?

I just think it's a truly fantastic anthology and highly recommend it to any fellow book junkie who loves to read books that leave you on the edge of your seat.

And, in a separate poll, NPR is letting you vote on your favorite thrillers. They've narrowed the list down to 182 titles. You can head over here and cast your vote for your favorite ten on the list. Trust me, it's a tough vote. There are some amazing titles on this list. I managed to vote on a King, a Coben, a Deaver, a Child, a few newbies, and Rebecca. I can't remember what else, but I think I got the important ones (for me, that is).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to read this one. I love books like this and am anxious to see what thrillers these authors have written about. Got to go see about finding a copy. LOL

Author Scott Nicholson said...

I was honored to write about Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me for this one. Great book.

Scott Nicholson
http://hauntedcomputer.blogspot.com