Quantcast

Friday, March 28, 2008

Another Must Read From My Collection!

Season of the Witch, by Natasha Mostert, was one of those books that really caught my attention right off the bat. I think I was in Borders when I first came across it, but I held off on buying. Maybe a week later, with the book still rolling around in my head demanding purchase, I found it at the Boulder Bookstore. I say found, but by then the impulse to buy it was way too strong to resist and I am just glad BBS had it in stock!

Season is modern gothic fiction at it's absolute best! At it's heart, it's a mystery, but it has some major paranormal and philosophical elements as well. In Season, Gabriel Blackstone, a highly talented remote viewer is asked to use his powers to help track down a missing person. Gabriel was once part of a group called Eyestorm but was unable to work with the group and struck out on his own. One of his former colleagues, Cecily Franck, contacts Gabriel and requests his help in finding her missing stepson. Through the use of his ability, Gabriel is able to relive the final minutes of the man's life and comes to believe that the man was murdered. His investigation leads him to Minnaloushe and Morrighan Monk, two beautiful and charming sisters with some big secrets. 

Season of the Witch is one of those amazing books that you have to tell everyone about! I love gothic fiction and have been especially enjoying the recent resurgence in popularity. Titles like Thirteenth Tale, Ghost Writer, and The Historian have been among my favorites in recent years. Mostert fits comfortably in with them even though she has much more of a paranormal twist to her tale than the others do. 

In addition to Season, Mostert is also author of Windwalker, another gothic tale that I highly recommend. The Midnight Side and The Other Side of Silence are both out of print, but can sometimes be found through used bookstores. I was able to find Midnight Side and have it sitting in my TBR pile. Mostert has just completed work on her upcoming release Dragonfly. I haven't heard anything about it just yet, but it's already on my must buy list!  

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I have never heard of these books. Thanks for sharing I will have to check it out