Quantcast

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Veronica Mars: The Thousand Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham

Well yes, I was quite late coming to the Veronica Mars party. Embarrassingly late, in fact. The very passion that prompted fans to fully fund the Kickstarter for the film in record time was enough to convince me my pop culture education was lacking, though.

And so I binged it. BINGED!

And then watched the movie. And then, after all of that, bought the first book with bday money :)

After her reunion, Veronica decides to pass on the NYC lawyer gig and stick around Neptune as a PI. Cases have been slim, but when a college coed goes missing during spring break and the sheriff blows it off, the Chamber of Commerce steps in requesting Mars Investigations's assistance. With Keith still out convalescing, that means Veronica's on the case. And when a second girl disappears, Veronica makes a surprising discovery. 

How can you not love a Veronica Mars book if you love the show, right? You kind of can't. And all of the nods to the show are there. All of the characters we know and love are here. There are little references back to old cases. There's even some revisits to unresolved little story lines.

My only complaint is minor and it's  pet peeve of mine: the recaps. Every time a character is introduced they come with their backstory from the show. It felt a little like when I was a kid and every Babysitters Club book had the same catch-you-up-to-speed how-the-BSC-was-founded info dump. Fortunately these little recaps were pretty small. They just felt a bit unnecessary all things considered.

The Thousand Dollar Tan Line is definitely a plot worthy of Veronica's investigative skills. I'd heard it was originally to be the plot of the movie, but I think it worked out better this way (with the movie what it was and with this being the first book). And I'm SUPER glad that the books are giving us more Neptune and more Veronica! Of course the second book is due out very shortly here and I've got plans to dive in pretty immediately now.

Rating: 4/5

(Definitely recommended for fans, not recommended as a starting point if you missed the show.)

2 comments:

Tammy Sparks said...

I'm a huge VM fan, although I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm glad to know the book is good too! I need to catch up:-D

Kay said...

Did I even know there was a Veronica Mars book? Thanks for sharing about it. Yes, I watched the show and then saw the movie. Enjoyed both. Now I'll go look for this book. Yay!