Quantcast

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Win a Copy of The Thirteen by Susie Moloney

I think I've expressed my love of witchy books here before, but I'll continue to do so as long as folks continue to write them. Like all books and all kinds of characters, there are so many different angles. Witches can be evil or altruistic, they can be manipulative and sneaky, or they can be mild tricksters. There's an array of possibilities. 

So what do you get when you combine Desperate Housewife-esque suburbanites with devil worshipping witchcraft? The Thirteen by Susie Moloney of course!

Paula's mother sent her away from Haven Woods over a decade ago. Now, broke and jobless, she and her twelve-year-old daughter have received word that Paula's mother is very sick. And so Paula drags her daughter back to her hometown for a visit. While there, Paula runs into some old acquaintances, including a possible new love interest. But Paula should beware Have Woods. Something dark has been waiting for Paula to return. Something that will put both her and her daughter in grave danger. 

Moloney has an interesting style, throwing in character's inner thoughts in between the regular narrative. It's an interesting layer added to the story itself even if it is used sparingly. It's an element that makes Moloney unique, at least in my reading experience. 

The Thirteen is dark and twisted indeed, but also has a sharp and sarcastic tone that makes it an utterly delicious read. And though this is not Moloney's debut, nor is it her first release stateside, it is my introduction to Moloney's work and I do hope that it will be the first of many new releases from her. In the meantime, I've got a backlist copy of The Dwelling currently waiting in my TBR stack. 

The Thirteen is out now in paperback.  

Ooh, ooh! I almost forgot. I have a copy of The Thirteen to give away! If you want to throw your name in the hat, leave me a comment below with a way to get in touch with you. I'll draw a name on April 30. (US only please)


3 comments:

Loni Huff said...

You had me at "witches." It's Loni, by the way. =)

Anonymous said...

i'll drop my name in the hat

Rick B said...

Well Susie, I know I can't enter but I am buying the book as always. Come back to the Island and visit sometime. We'd love to see you. - Rick Belton