Quantcast

Friday, October 6, 2023

Short Fiction Friday: Mama Bird by Clay McLeod Chapman

Bringing back my short fiction posts!

As I've mentioned before, I am a literary agent. So during the week, in an attempt to reign myself in and focus on work, I try to stick to short stories and novellas. ('Cause if I get into a novel, I'm going to binge read until I finish, at the expense of work I need to be doing!)

Every parent knows the worry that comes from picky eating kids. Are they getting enough nutrients and protein? Are they going to be hungry? It plagues you. 

And for this mother, whose daughter struggled to regain her birth weight and eschewed food, when she finally finds a solution, she grabs hold of it. Even if it isn't quite what you'd expect...

You're probably familiar with Clay through his novels, The Remaking, Whisper Down the Lane, Ghost Eaters, and the newly released What Kind of Mother. But this first of his chapbooks, published by Shortwave, came to my attention just before StokerCon. 

It's a short tale. One that can definitely be read in one sitting. But it is a lot to chew on. 

And as a mom, it hits on something I myself have had issues with since day one: providing nourishment for my child. Worrying about his development. And stressing about the importance of my own role in that regard. 

Course I've never quite had to deal with the things this mom experiences!

A little plug for Shortwave—they are a special indie press putting out fantastically packaged chapbooks, novellas, collections, and novels. I've been reading a bunch of their titles, so you'll be seeing more from them on the blog!

No comments: