Quantcast

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Pre Pub Book Buzz: When the English Fall by David Williams

Earlier this month, BN posted a list of "19 Science Fiction Debuts We Can't Wait to Read in 2017." And while there are a few titles on the list that were already on my radar, many of the titles were new to me - and I quickly added them all to my must have list :)

One of those is a debut called When the English Fall by David Williams. Here's a bit about the book from Goodreads:

When a catastrophic solar storm brings about the collapse of modern civilization, an Amish community in Pennsylvania is caught up in the devastating aftermath. Once-bright skies are now dark. Planes have plummeted to the ground. The systems of modern life have crumbled. With their stocked larders and stores of supplies, the Amish are unaffected at first. But as the English (the Amish name for all non-Amish people) become more and more desperate, they begin to invade Amish farms, taking whatever they want and unleashing unthinkable violence on the peaceable community.

Seen through the diary of an Amish farmer named Jacob as he tries to protect his family and his way of life, When the English Fall examines the idea of peace in the face of deadly chaos: Should members of a nonviolent society defy their beliefs and take up arms to defend themselves? And if they don’t, can they survive?

You know I'm never one to pass up a post apocalyptic tale, so when I had the chance to get my hands on a copy of this one for review, I pounced. And while I almost never have the chance to read this early, I couldn't resist diving in this week. 

Readers, it doesn't hit shelves until July, but it is pretty fantastic! Definitely one to watch for this summer. (And hopefully a good sign for the rest of the titles on the list!)

1 comment:

Beloved Spear said...

Thanks so much for the kind words! So glad you enjoyed it!