Quantcast

Friday, May 15, 2015

Things You've Inherited From Your Mother by Hollie Adams

Happy Friday, readers! Today I'm a stop on the TLC book tour for Hollie Adams's Things You've Inherited From Your Mother.

Carrie's mother has died. And since she has this whole grieving thing down, she's decided her time can be best used putting together a self help book for others in the same situation. Post its? Check. Title? Working on it. Appropriate response to losing your mother? Carrie has no clue. 

Imagine if you have a younger, extremely immature sister or friend who's basically letting their life fall apart around them. That's Carrie. She's a mess! But honestly, her mom doesn't sound much better. Course that's all through Carrie's eyes, so who knows.

Hollie Adams's debut is funny, in that sort of WRONG way. Not that Carrie isn't funny, but that she's so incredibly out there as a character that if you really knew anyone like her you would not find it funny! I couldn't help laughing out loud.

Things You've Inherited From Your Mother is short. Super short; longer than a novella but shorter than a novel. And even if you hate Carrie, you'll probably get a kick out of her antics and their results. Like her seriously bad choice of funeral attire, her attempt to go around workplace dress code and do as little actual productive work as possible, and her ongoing war with her mom's cat. Yeah, it's all ridiculous and amusing in my opinion. And hey, even if you don't - it's short.

But I liked it. I liked the snarky humor. I liked seeing someone who's worse off than everyone I know try to muddle through adulthood. 'Cause really, aren't we all trying to muddle through adulthood? (It probably helps that I know NO ONE like Carrie!) And yeah, it's sad that the story begins with the death of her mother, but honestly if Carrie was flat out on her couch, inconsolable with grief, I likely wouldn't have been able to handle the book at all.

Rating: 4/5

To see more stops on the tour be sure to check out the official TLC tour page here.


2 comments:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thankfully I don't know anyone like Carrie either, but the book does sound quite entertaining! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

Unknown said...

I attended a funeral last year. Talking about a seriously bad choice of funeral attire, her grown daughter wore torn up jeans. Not sure I'd like Carrie, but I can see where the ongoing war with her mom's cat would be cute.
@dino0726 from 
FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews