Quantcast

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Reading Wishlist

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: Top ten things we wish writers would write about. 


This is a tough one. I'm not sure if I'll make a full ten but here goes:

1. The bermuda triangle!

2. Nautical horror - guys, I have a serious water phobia. Serious. So yeah, some nautical based horror would probably be just the thing to actually creep me the heck out!

3. Sci-fi horror a la Alien. Why isn't there more of this?!

4. Ghost ships. Yes, ghost ships. The Flying Dutchman, anyone? I would have thought that with the popularity of Pirates of the Caribbean that we would have gotten something piratey with a ghost ship. (Looking forward to checking out this new book, though.)

5. Even more mythology inspired fiction. We've been inundated with Roman and Norse but we're starting to see some Eastern European and Celtic as well. I love mythology and want to be exposed to even more of it from around the world. 

6. More translated teen genre fiction. Yes, this is out there but I want more of it to make its way here to the States. I'm reading Sara B. Elfgren and Mats Strandberg's The Circle as we speak and I really, really loved Johan Harstad's 172 Hours on the Moon. I know there's other fabulous stuff out there I'm missing out on!

7. Romantic comedy with a male perspective a la Charlotte Street. This book was sweet and hilarious and British, so it was full of dry Brit humor. It was fantastic and I want more!

8. Military horror - that's right, military horror. Movies like Below, R-Point, and Deathwatch kind of rocked my socks off. Now I want some books like this. 

9. 80s and 90s style horror. Campy and fun, I feel like this was the heyday of the genre, which isn't fair because there's still good stuff coming out if you know where to look for it. 

10. I need a ten. Um... I'm going to go with one similar to something I saw on another list and go with obscure but bizarre historical events. They're out there and I research some of them for work (the Bloody Benders, for example and HH Holmes, who is the subject of Devil in the White City) there's a ton of this kind of stuff that could be fodder for great books. It doesn't all have to be dark and twisty either, just not so well known history in general. 

I know my list is very horror leaning. What can I say, I crave great creepy reads!

5 comments:

Stormi said...

Oh I agree with about everything on your list..give me some great horror books! I would like some like the old 70's and 80's that were actually scary! The ones where you didn't want to turn out the lights after reading..lol.

Kelly said...

Yes Yes Yes!! I love your list, especially campy horror. That is my favorite thing to watch so I would love to read it too!!

Also yes, anything remotely like Devil in the White City!

Now I'm pining for books I can't have lol.

Doris @ OABR said...

Awesome list. A ghost book ship sounds totally creepy, I'd read that.
Here's our TTT
Doris @ OABR

LisaILJ said...

You're list reminds me that I just don't read enough horror. Very interesting topics though!

Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams said...

1+2+4 = Nautical horror set on a ghost ship in bermuda triangle? LOL

I love mythology and definitely writers should explore more exotic ones.

Another great romantic comedy with a male perspective is 'Attachments'
by Rainbow Rowell. Very fun.

Interesting and creepy list. ;)