Quantcast

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Dealing with Tough Subjects

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: Top Ten Books Dealing with Tough Subjects.





1. Losing Clementine by Ashley Ream - this is a really fantastic book and Ream deals with her subject (mental illness) with a great amount of humor.

2. More Like Her by Liza Palmer - this one was actually quite a jarring read. Like Ream, Palmer employs quite a bit of humor and lightheartedness so when the big thing happens in this book it makes it that much more shocking.

3. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - Flynn's heroine here has a lot of issues that unfold as the story progresses. This was her debut and it blew me away.

4. The Banks of Certain Rivers by Jon Harrison - this one touches on a number of things and is a really incredible read.

5. Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes - the heroine in this one is a woman who's survived spousal abuse and lives in fear as a result. It's a fantastic thriller and one of my favorites from last year.

6. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight - a mother whose daughter supposedly committed suicide learns that there was more going on in her daughter's life than she ever suspected.

7. Pantomime by Laura Lam - I feel like including this one here is kind of a spoiler :o

8. Spin by Cathering McKenzie - alcoholism. But (and this is a trend with me) again in a more lighthearted way that doesn't detract from the seriousness but makes it easier to sympathize with the characters.

9. What You Wish For by Kerry Reichs - motherhood in all its forms.

10. Addition by Toni Jordan - the narrator here has severe OCD and the book deals with how it impacts her life.

I realized that have a ton of books that include issues but I'm not sure I'd say they're appropriate for this list (serial killer whose motive springs from abuse... nah)! Any of the above without the particular issue mentioned in detail is to avoid spoilers :)

7 comments:

Natalie @Natflix&Books said...

I have Sharp Objects on my list, too. That book is so intense. I really enjoyed Spin, too. Great list!
Natflix&Books' TTT

Anonymous said...

Into The Darkest Corner is on my list too! It's such an intense read. Great list!

Anonymous said...

I just read my first Catherine McKenzie book & loved it, so I'll be making my way through her backlist. Great list!

Bark At The Ghouls said...

I haven't read any of these (yet) and am adding a bunch to my WL!

Ula said...

I haven't read any of these yet but some are on my TBR pile. :)

My TTT

Dana said...

Sharp Objects is on my list. I was blown away by Gone Girl so I definitely want to read more by her. Great list!

Anonymous said...

More Liker Her and Reconstructing Amelia look interesting! Nice list!